Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polish Beryl Review. The modern Kalashnikov.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

Polish Beryl Review. The modern Kalashnikov.

Prologue:

I have been a long time AK74 advocate. I'm a fan of light and fast intermediate cartridges, among them 5.45 and 5.56.

I'm a huge fan of the Kalashnikov and variants and with 5.45 being sparse, I decided I needed an AK in 5.56. With this in mind I set out to find a go to rifle to fill my needs.

I ultimately decided to find a Beryl. Just so happened around this time RTI had some in stock and lowered the price to $799. SCORE!!

2013 Production.

Dealing with RTI:

Well, this was an experience to say the least. I ordered on the 3rd and after a voided order, waiting on compliance parts, and multiple emails to the sales manager I was able to pick the rifle up on the 19th.

I will say for my trouble i was able to convince them to include an extra Polish Beryl mag at no cost. I ordered 2 extras with my Original Purchase.

Overall, I am satisfied with the final result, but may be a bit apprehensive to deal with RTI again.

Initial Thoughts/ Under the hood:

FIRST THING I DID WAS DITCH THE BUFFER....

I felt the overall quality was very good. There are some minor gripes, but overall the quality is comparable, and some may say better than Arsenal. My gripes include the visible milling marks on the BCG, and the finish is a little weak. The finish wear on the FSB drum was from a sight tool.

Another gripe may be the bayo lug was not finished. But, at least the material is there (they didn't just shave it), and one day I could finish it myself.

Here is the pictures of the brake. I'm not sure if this is pinned on right, or wrong. There is some confusion on which is the right way. I do know it's different than Gen 2 archers.

BOTTOM

Fit and finish is excellent. One of the smoothest actions I've felt out of the box. Sights are straight. There is also a spot in the rear sight for a tritium vial.

The receiver is square. The rivets are well formed. Bullet guide looks good.

IO actually did an OK job opening the magwell up. Mags fit sung. I like the extended mag release alot. It's benefits become apparent during stressful mag changes.

The BCG and Bolt look very good. (other than the milling marks)

The trigger was.....OK. I opted to replace it with an ALG AKT. It was a bit of a chore to dial it in (the dowel pin for safety interference) on the Beryl as it doesn't have your typical AK safety. It all worked out in the end and the trigger is excellent. IO does include their own trigger pin retainer.

The safety lever is a love/hate type thing.

I hate the BHO cut out.

I do however love the tab. Unlike the Krebs safety, it does NOT dig in to my trigger finder when disengaged.

I also could not take the IO "tactical" grip. I felt ok, but overall quality sucked. I opted to find a mini Beryl grip "look alike". I found this older CAA Ak grip on eBay that fit the bill.

The stock is a 4 position and has a very nice rubber pad. It is very solid and does not rattle.

Fully collapsed:

Fully extended:

I was going to use a traditional polish sling, but opted for a VCAS 2 point AK edition sling. It works better with the rear sling mount. It's also neat there are sling loops on both sides of the handguard retainer. A plus for you southpaws out there.

Off to the Range:

I started with a simple function test and fired a mag through it. All Wolf Gold 55gr. Flawless. My intial impression on recoil was WOW. This thing nudges you. Very comparable to, if not softer than, the SLR104's I used to own. It could be the nice butt pad, the brake, or even a nicely tuned gas port. My point is, it's a soft shooter and very controllable.

Off to abuse the mags a little. I dropped the rifle on the mags a few times. I also dropped it on the butt a few times. Lastly I did a few push ups on the mag. No signs of stress. No breakage. I will say Radom must have figured out how to make a decent military AK mag without steel reinforcements. Time will tell however.

Next was dialing it in. It was very close A slight elevation and windage adjustment and I was in business. My last 10 shot group as very tight at around 40-50yds. I will say this rifle is more accurate than I am, and loves 55gr.

Later on Mattylight gave me the chance to shoot with the optic rail and a x4 scope. I will most definitely pursue this combo in the near future. It almost felt like cheating. The adjustable stock came in real handy with the scope in prone.

My rifle did not seem to particularly hard on brass. Here is a picture of 4 rounds I captured. Mattylight did point out the brass is bouncing off of the dust cover at times. Ejection is strong and consistent though, and it lobs 'em in the standard AK fashion.

Sorry to disappoint though. No sand tornado or creek. :angel_sma

Final thoughts:

Simply said, I am impressed!!

This is a quality AK and was a STEAL at $799 IMO.

I will recommend this to anybody looking for an AK in 5.56. No hesitation. You 5.45 guys will love it.

Fabryka Broni is a winner and I hope they can get more imported into the country. A mini Beryl pistol would be awesome.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)

Feedback Score
    That's pretty sweet. Can you put an ultimak on it or something similar? I want an Aimpoint on it. Is there a Russian style scope mounting plate on the left side of the receiver?

Where can we buy one of these things these days and who has spare parts (things like bolts, etc.)? I have an old Romanian SAR-2, and I really really wish I would have picked up spare parts when they were readily available back in 2002-04.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Check out the action pictures on my second post.

The Beryl has it's own rail that slides into two slots on the rear sight block and locks onto a tab on the rear trunnion via a qd lever.

I have one on the way.

Feedback Score
    Like this: http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/?d=116

_164111_karabinek_radom_sport.jpg

All it needs is an extended handguard and I am game. Ideally, I would want something that can run suppressed, but this may be the best thing in 5.56 NATO AKs since the Valmet M-76 (short of the Galil).

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Yup ^^

Just like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    RTI can go F themselves after their Vepr fiasco.

Sorry

Thanks for the review

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    RTI can go F themselves after their Vepr fiasco.

Sorry

Thanks for the review

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    LOL

I can relate, and understand.

They pulled some shady stuff with those Vepr 1v's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I too just picked up a Beryl. I am not a fan of the AK at all, but I wanted to add one into my collection that was unique. I like the rifle a lot. I put a MRO on top, and it works quite well. I just bought 10 Beryl mags on sale at RTI, and an ALG AKT trigger for it. I think the last thing I will do is add a new grip, as the factory one sucks.

The rifle is a super soft shooter, even with M855. The brass ejected into one clean small pile.

I am very happy I ended up with one of the Polish built guns as they have pretty much dried up now.

Untitled by Austin Scott, on Flickr
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For you guys with the Beryls, this gentleman keeps a good supply of surplus and new Beryl parts/accessories. I have purchased my Beryl stock brackets from him.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Be...cific-c152.htm
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast