Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dickinson?

Feedback Score

Dickinson?

I was at a new LGS today, because I was in the neighborhood...

I'm mulling over buying a shotgun, and I've been looking at Stoegers (the Chevrolets of the Beretta/Benelli group).

I asked if the shop sells Stoeger, and they don't, but the salesman steered me towards a Dickinson semi-auto, which he claimed was inertia operated, just like a Benelli or Stoeger...

For a moment, I was hoping that Benelli was licensing their operating system further...

Then I looked it up, and Dickinson claims that their 212 line is to be "Inertia/Gas" operated, which seems like a contradiction in terms...

https://www.dickinsonarms.com/semi-automatics-1.html

This is marketing BS, right? NB: unlike Stoeger, Dickinson is NOT using the Benelli-trademarked "Inertia-Driven" motto.

So, I'm guessing the guy working the counter at the LGS was just BSing me.

Feedback Score
    Damn, I looked closer, and it turns out that Dickinson sells two versions of each shotgun, one inertia, one gas, so the "inertia" guns really are inertia operated.

Now I'm thoroughly confused, but I'm guessing that this is some kind of knock-off of the Benelli Inertia-Driven system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not sure one can say Benelli is licensing their system to Stoeger, Beretta, or Franchi, my understanding of it is that all of them are owned by Beretta and basically daddy is making the kids share their toys, or something to that effect. Might be a bit simplistic, but going off of a lot of the crossing over I've seen in those brands it is what I would assume. If that isn't the case then let me know since I haven't kept up on them much. With that said, I am somehow doubting that this company is another one of Beretta's little children, in fact I've never heard of them.

Anyway, since you're looking at shotguns, what kind are you looking for, and what are you looking for it to do?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I am somehow doubting that this company is another one of Beretta's little children, in fact I've never heard of them.

Anyway, since you're looking at shotguns, what kind are you looking for, and what are you looking for it to do?
    I'm doubting it, too. AFAIK, Beretta guns are still gassers, and it's Benelli that came up with the inertia system.

I'm looking for a shotgun primarily for busting clay pigeons and bird hunting... I know this is the wrong forum for that, but I like the M4C no-nonsense culture.

Of course, I also want something with an extended mag and the potential to mount a shorter barrel in case I do 3-Gun someday, but this would not be a "go to" gun.

So, I've been looking at Stoeger M3000s...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I'm doubting it, too. AFAIK, Beretta guns are still gassers, and it's Benelli that came up with the inertia system.

I'm looking for a shotgun primarily for busting clay pigeons and bird hunting... I know this is the wrong forum for that, but I like the M4C no-nonsense culture.

Of course, I also want something with an extended mag and the potential to mount a shorter barrel in case I do 3-Gun someday, but this would not be a "go to" gun.

So, I've been looking at Stoeger M3000s...
    I thought Beretta had come out with a inertia gun? Or I could be wrong, I really haven't been pay much attention to them other than their M9s as of late. I want another M9 damnit! I know Benelli and Franchi both have theirs and seem to be sharing designs, and I have a soft spot for Franchi having used them for years in the field and their AL48 is a favorite for a light weight bird gun for me and a bit of the family. Kicks like a bitch though. That said, for clays, having a goody bit of time on the line and more rounds of target loads down range than I really care to think about. In the tens of thousands. I would say look at a gas gun. Yes, they have more parts, and yes it is going to be more to clean, but the recoil is generally going to be lighter and this is a plus if you plan on going out and shooting 100 rounds or more in a day. Second, I'd say look around for a used Beretta 390 or 391, I have seen those things goes thousands of rounds without issue running light target loads. Seen a 390 that had been run for over 5K without cleaning before it failed, damn thing had so much gunk in it that the bolt couldn't move far enough to cycle. You might be able to find them priced about the same as the Stoeger M3000 depending on the area. Have also seen AL48s used cheap from time to time if you are looking for a strictly field shotgun, in 20 gauge they are pretty handy, just cheap the recoil spring oiled. Also, for the target shooting there tends to be more out there for the Berettas, a shell catcher is a cheap piece that will make the guys on the trap line love ya if you are there, lol. Not that the Stoeger isn't a good shotgun, my nephew has one and it serves him well, and I see them on the line from time to time. I just have seen the Berettas perform better. Of course that is assuming more target shooting than stuff in the field. If reversed my opinions would change to something lighter, since you are going to be carrying the damn thing all day. I could go on, but I will leave the food for thought there.
    As far as extended tubes for 3 gun though, that is a bit out my realm. The only extended tubes I've looked at were for 870s, and 1100s since I have a friend wanting to work an 1100 over for three gun and me wanting to build an 870 because I like them.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I thought Beretta had come out with a inertia gun?
    AFAIK, no... The Beretta semi-autos are all gas.

I would say look at a gas gun...
    I'm once bitten, twice shy.

The only gun that my father or I have ever sold was a basket-case Remington 1100 that he bought on a lark. We fiddled with it for years, and it was always a PITA and never functioned consistently. The only good part about it was that we sold it for more than he paid for it, and that after full disclosure...

So, I really don't want another gas gun. Besides, I've shot my father's Benelli at length, and it hasn't beaten me up. If I'm shooting 100+ rounds in a day at clays, then I'll be shooting light loads, anyway.

Not that the Stoeger isn't a good shotgun...
    I know this is the wrong forum to be a bottom-feeding cheap bastard, but from what I hear, the Stoegers run about as well as the Benellis.

And the cost savings isn't just when buying the gun... Extra Stoeger barrels are less than $200. An extra barrel for a Benelli costs about as much as entire Stoeger shotgun!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    like I said, I don't keep up with them, but I thought I had read that they had. Then again, like I said, haven't been watching them too much and most of the shotguns I have been running around have been break actions.

As far as gas guns, and the 1100 in general, I have seen few that had major issues. my BIL has one that has been abused and runs well, other than a broken feed latch the other year that I replaced and gave the gun its first detail cleaning in 20 years +. I wish I was joking about that cleaning too, but he had it for about that long and his idea of cleaning was spray down with rem oil and run a bore snake down the barrel. And like I said, the beretta gas guns have run well in my experience, not to say I haven't seen ones with issues, I have, but they haven't been in the majority.

As far as price goes, I won't get into it. I have a comp gun that costs more than some people's cars. And I am not talking about more than the used beater yugo your brother in law bought, but like a new off the lot sedan. Think something that makes a KAC look cheap, lol. Granted I didn't pay that much for it, but yeah.

Feedback Score
    As far as price goes, I won't get into it...
    I don't want to belabor it, but...

1. I've been shooting 20+ years, and this'll be my first shotgun. If I like it and shoot it a lot, then at some point I'll probably buy a better one. If I try it a couple times and then relegate it to the back of the gunsafe, then that's OK, too.

I've heard the "buy once, cry once" motto here, but there's a lot to be said for "proof of concept" with an inexpensive item. My first rifle was a $200 beater M1 Carbine (back when they were cheap). I shot thousands of rounds through it before I saved up enough to buy a decent AR (this during the AWB). If I had been forced to wait until I could buy an AR, then maybe I never would've done so...

2. If I needed to spend $1,000 on a shotgun, then I just wouldn't buy one.

3. From what I've read (there's tons over on Enos' forum), the Stoegers perform well, and they're $500...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've looked at the Dickinson line--pump and inertia semi auto--in my lgs. They appear to be nicely made and are inexpensive. The inertia driven semi autos on the inside look exactly like the competition. This shop claims that none has been returned as defective.

Your R 1100 experience is atypical.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hm. I have literally never heard of these, but I'm liking what I see on the website. I might need to spend some money...
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast