Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: barrel break in

Feedback Score
    That's interesting. Never really thought about gas port causing copper fouling. I'm wondering whether factories drill the gas port before or after chrome lining.

What's different about the bore tech jag?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Would this apply even though Krieger drills their gas port in a groove? I'm sure it would, but what's the point of doing so?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Bullet still fills the grooves to make a seal otherwise the gas would just leak past

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would imagine that over time the gas port will stop causing the copper fouling. To this point I have not put enough rounds through that barrel for that to occur.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Bullet still fills the grooves to make a seal otherwise the gas would just leak past
    I knew that. I was just testing you
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's interesting. Never really thought about gas port causing copper fouling. I'm wondering whether factories drill the gas port before or after chrome lining.

Bore tech proof positive jag is supposed to be made of materials that will not react with solvent and give false copper indication (like a normal jag or brush will).

It is my personal opinion that chrome lining "softens" the tool marks left in the barrel.

Feedback Score
    I would bet more money than not that the gas port is not the issue with the Kreiger, IF it was sourced and had the extension installed at the factory.

If some jackalope bought a blank, fit an extension, profiled and drilled the gas port without cleaning up the barrel, then maybe.

Some barrels just foul more than others, Its the nature of the beast.

Also, Krieger barrels won't be chrome lined. There are some out there that have been nitrated, buts its generally frowned upon as it creates a soft boiled egg with many of the typical steels used and f's up the heat treating.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post
    I would bet more money than not that the gas port is not the issue with the Kreiger, IF it was sourced and had the extension installed at the factory.

If some jackalope bought a blank, fit an extension, profiled and drilled the gas port without cleaning up the barrel, then maybe.

Some barrels just foul more than others, Its the nature of the beast.

Also, Krieger barrels won't be chrome lined. There are some out there that have been nitrated, buts its generally frowned upon as it creates a soft boiled egg with many of the typical steels used and f's up the heat treating.
    None of us claimed that Krieger chrome lines their barrels.

Feedback Score

Oh yeah? Why ask about it if it doesn't apply?

Feedback Score
    "wondering whether FACTORIES drill the gas port before or after chrome lining."

i think we're having a couple conversations simultaneously. sorry it's hard to follow

also, there's not a current problem with a krieger barrel. euro was just wondering if it mattered whether the port was in a land or groove.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast