(I'm just some guy, so take this from a civilian's perspective)
I'm not sure about other cities, but I know that when I went through CERT training, I learned our city charter prohibits firefighters from being armed (CERT is considered reserve fire in my town, and my assumption is that it is the same for others).

I know that be preferable answer would be more tactical paramedics on the teams, but until that time, would regular line-officers working in conjunction with paramedics/EMTs going in after the SWAT team as a second wave work? The police would not only provide cover for medical and evac teams, but also (hopefully) secure already cleared areas. These days, every active shooter scene is a parking lot of non-tactical units hanging out on the perimeter. Why not utilize assets already at the scene. I know there are a lot of issues to sort out (sorting hostage from hostile, etc...and a bunch not to be mentioned on public forums), and it would take some training and coordination between police and fire, but that already needs to happen.

The same way tactics have evolved post-Columbine from first responders using strict 4-C's protocol, to the newer push/contact/neutralize training, this could simply be the next evolution of active shooter tactics.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy