Thread: Dangerous Precedent: Paramedics to no longer wait and stage during active-shooter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    I am 100% for the arming of medics. The observations and concerns I hold are for their safety and protection. Imagine a bullet fired from an EMT who is not trained to the states standards, not legally allowed to carry on duty, or is not deputized or a special reserve officer, strikes a hostage/civilian. There is unfortunately grounds from litigation. Yes the EMTs have a right to protect themselves, but they also have to abide by certain laws, including ones you and I disagree with. Just as I being a 14 year paramedic am prohibited from performing a C-section - no matter the totality of the circumstances, because it is outside my scope of practice. We are forced to, "stay in our lanes" when it comes to our jobs.
    The law in this state allows people with a handgun permit to carry a handgun for personal protection. Not for any law enforcement function...personal protection. Litigation...yes. Anytime there's a shooting, there are "grounds for litigation" no matter what the circumstances. Your C-section analogy isn't applicable since you aren't trained to do it and have no legal authority to do so.

I, and the EMT-T's that I supervised, did train and qualify with firearms to SO standards, and took/passed this state's Application of Lethal Force test, the same one that all LEO's have to take in this state. Even so, it was a basic concept drilled into every one of them that use of lethal force by any Tactical EMT on the service was absolutely only in accordance with state personal protection laws and absolutely not the use-of-force laws that were statutorily granted to law enforcement officers.

Last edited by Hmac; 03-05-16 at 10:56.