Thread: "Electicronic Action Assist" Device for shooting subsonic rounds?

Feedback Score

"Electicronic Action Assist" Device for shooting subsonic rounds?

I have an idea that would allow a rifle that is shooting sub sonic round to cycle, it would be more or less an electronic device that would cycle the action in place of it being cycle via normal means.

My questions are the following.

1. Has another thought of or made such devices?

2. If not, why not?

3. Would you buy one?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'll play.

1. Don't know

2. Maybe lack of need or complications with added equipment.

3. No

I think a big hurdle would be timing. Extract too early and rip the extractor groove off and/or KB. Extract too late and a person might as well hand cycle. Not to mention the possibility of the electrical system junking out.

I would imagine (in an AR for example) a person could use the hollow internal tail of the carrier and the external circumference of the receiver extension with an electromagnetic set-up. Think Bullet Train. Add a pressure transducer on barrel telling the magnet when to fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I'll play.

1. Don't know

2. Maybe lack of need or complications with added equipment.

3. No

I think a big hurdle would be timing. Extract too early and rip the extractor groove off and/or KB. Extract too late and a person might as well hand cycle. Not to mention the possibility of the electrical system junking out.

I would imagine (in an AR for example) a person could use the hollow internal tail of the carrier and the external circumference of the receiver extension with an electromagnetic set-up. Think Bullet Train. Add a pressure transducer on barrel telling the magnet when to fire.
    OK I am stealing that idea.

Now if you that device, would you buy it?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nah, just think of the liabilities involved. KB! "Oh noes, my award winning face".

Not to mention magnets tend to attract ferrous metals which could cause premature wear on all components involved. A CYA letter may only go so far.

Tricky part with transducer would be getting it to send the cycle command on the back half of the pressure wave. Definitely would need some sort of solid state/logic to determine the difference.

A person couldn't just set it up to cycle at say 3,000 psi. It would surely blow up. It would need to cycle on the second viewing of the pressure setting. Maybe make it where it has to see something like 15,000 psi first then the next time it sees 3k (within a set timeframe), it cycles.

You build it, I'll take 10% of the net profit. *handshake*
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 03-04-16 at 18:12.