Thread: What's the story on DSA's FAL barrels?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What's the story on DSA's FAL barrels?

I've wanted an FAL off and on for like fourteen years and have never gotten one. Been looking at DSA's site lately. I've gathered before on this site that trying to snag an 80s era SAR-48 is perhaps a preferable option to getting a new DSA but in the event I can't locate one for a reasonable price I've been keeping DSA in mind as a Plan B. In looking at their offerings though I noticed their barrel specs...or more properly the lack of them. Some of their guns are listed as having a "premium barrel" or in some cases a "premium military barrel" and I'm curious what that is since no additional info is provided. What kind of steel does DSA use for barrels, I'm assuming 4140 (I guess some military FALs used 4130 so 4140 should hold up I guess.) but they don't say. I like chrome-lined bores, I know most FALs did not have this but it would still be my preference if I could choose. I also know DSA doesn't chrome their bores but are their "premium" barrels given some other treatment like nitride or something? Basically, what is "premium" about their premium barrels?

Feedback Score
    I've been looking at their products online for the last couple of weeks since I myself have become interested in possibly picking up an FAL. And from what I can tell, they simply add "premium" to the description of some guns and not others. For instance, the Voyager is their entry level gun where they delete a few features to bring the price down to the $1,000 level. This gun is listed as having a "premium" barrel, yet the standard SA58 model that has the extra features doesn't list the barrel as being "premium".

From what I've read, all of their barrels are 4140 and unlined. While those stats seem pathetic to those who are used to dealing with 4150 chrome lined AR barrels, they're fairly typical of .308 battle rifles from this era.