Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on which Rifle

Feedback Score

Need help on which Rifle

Hey guys need some help on what is best long range 223 rifle value for the money,and scope. Also planning on Suppressor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looked so far at Wilson, CMMG and DD. Open to any suggestions
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd look at DD. I like Mk12. And if it were pretty much solely a long-range rifle that's what I would get.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Out of the three you cite, I'd second the DD. Don't discount a home build. ARs are not so complicated as some people think, and are not that hard to assemble. A big plus to the fankengun is you choose every part based on what you want it to do. Also, depending of what you call "long range" and what you want the round to do once it hits, you may consider going .308. I love the 5.56/.223 but consider it a 300 or 400 yard gun due to wind drift and downrange energy.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-05-16 at 12:29.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Come give us a budget to work with. Long range and value for the money don't exactly go hand in hand. Also what's long range? 600+ you really got to look elsewhere.

Anyway here is a shot in the dark. DD is about as solid as a rifle gets. Vortex glass seems to be the new standard, Viper PST 2.5x10 or whatever else in this line with the features you want. In the can arena SiCo, Rugged, DeadAir, ThunderBeast take your pick.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much. For replys. 300 maybe 400 yards max. 556 plenty. I have beanfield rifles. I want to go semi auto this time. It dosent have to be specific brand. I am open to franken rifles. I'm just gathering Intel for decision.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Akguy; 03-05-16 at 13:21. Reason: MIS spell

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    . I love the 5.56/.223 but consider it a 300 or 400 yard gun due to wind drift and downrange energy.
    A 77gr TMK drifts less than a 168gr SMK and at 600 yards has more energy than a 230gr 45ACP at the muzzle.

5.56 is plenty capable if you want it to be.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-05-16 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great info..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For Christmas I elected to take advantage of the sale at Wilson Combat and pick up parts to build a 6.8 along with a 223. Like mentioned the guns go together without much effort. Thats not to say there aren't some things to watch. Buying quality parts and things go easier. Buy your barrel and bolt from the same company at the same time and they will check the headspacing which makes one less thing you need to worry about.

Another thing if you are open to other calibers, look at the 6.5 Grendel. It will allow you to shoot accurately to 1200 yards. I am selling my 6.8 barrel and swapping calibers.

Feedback Score
    If you already have an AR lower, you might look into a precision upper. BCM has some nice stuff. But it's not cheap. Or build your own.....might save a little $$$ going that route. Nice glass is also going to be $$$$$.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akguy View Post
    Hey guys need some help on what is best long range 223 rifle value for the money,and scope. Also planning on Suppressor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looked so far at Wilson, CMMG and DD. Open to any suggestions
    Thanks

If you don't mind some advice here that may run contrary to what you are thinking of doing.

You might want to consider picking up a stock upper and then replacing the barrel with a great AR precision rifle barrel, with rifle length gas system, with Wylde chambering. Then, drop a good trigger into the lower and buy some good glass for it and you may well be really pleased with the results and achieve groups just about as good as anything you will get out of a pre-configured precision AR and spend less money doing it. You may also want to get a nice adjustable stock on it, for cheek weld and LOP, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast