Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass coming out of stainless tumbler a dark color

Feedback Score
    Does solvent clean it to expose brass underneath?

That just looks wrong. Are you sure it's not brass plated steel? I don't think anyone even makes it, but I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    Nickel plating is very thin. You could wear it off tumbling for a long time.
    2hrs is all that's needed for pistol brass.
    I've done incredibly dirty and corroded rifle brass for 2-3 hours. Water is real dirty, but brass clean and shiny. Squirt of dawn and 1/4 teaspoon or sow if lemishine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Does solvent clean it to expose brass underneath?
    That just looks wrong. Are you sure it's not brass plated steel? I don't think anyone even makes it, but I could be wrong.
    I don't know what solvent would do. I'll go and scratch one next chance I get, and try a couple different things to see how deep the stain is.

And yes, I'm 100% certain that this is brass. I should have more explicit originally I guess. There are no nickle or steel or any other cases in here. It was just 9mm BRASS that tumbled for 8 hours in it's own filth.

Quote Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
    Nickel plating
    Nope

I'll knock it down to 2 hours, but leave this up as a warning to what happens if you forget you have brass running.

Feedback Score
    The solvent is to determine if it's a carbon coating on the brass or something else.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had that happen with brass that was old and sat outside for about a year. It wasn't yellow going in, it was black. It never came clean. What was the condition going in?

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    I've had that happen with brass that was old and sat outside for about a year. It wasn't yellow going in, it was black. It never came clean. What was the condition going in?
    Range-dirty. But definitely yellow. Once or twice fired.

I had no luck with Hopps#9 solvent, but did with scratching it. Current theory is that I let it tumble too long in dirty water and stained the outside of the brass with it's own dirty water. If I can remember to, I'll run that batch again this week with clean water and check it every hour to see what happens.

It's fully clean, so I could just load it and forget about it. I'll definitely make sure to run for 2hr or so next time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    image.jpg

I put the stained brass back in for another 2 hours as clean as could be. It came out better, not great but better. Water was filthy again.

Tumbled some more today for 2hr, basically it was why I expected, you tumble too long in black water and it can stain the brass.... I'll be damned.

Feedback Score
    Glad you are finding the right combination to get good results.

I tumbled some more and 2hrs seems to be plenty good for pistol brass. I go 2hrs for rifle, primer in, then lube and size it removing primer as well, then I tumble again for two hrs to remove lube and clean primer pockets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12