Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning how to shoot long range?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know it's a good drive for you but check these guys out. I have trained pistol with them and I was happy with the class. They are very down to earth and they spend time with every student. From what I understand the long range classes are the read and butter of this school. I am taking the basic long range class in April.

http://badlandstactical.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    i gathered from the OP you weren't looking for training classes, but were just looking for self-study material.

if you are in the market for a class, go to CORE if you can swing the travel. if you need something closer to home go to Rifles Only, south of corpus. kingsville iirc

Feedback Score
    i don't know how much weight it holds with guys more knowledgable than me, but i bought the magpul "art of the precision rifle" dvd set and some of the stuff in there was eye opening. For a self study, home course deal, totally worth it. Todd Hodnett, the instructor on that video, has a few youtube appearances if you wanted to try before you buy.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    i gathered from the OP you weren't looking for training classes, but were just looking for self-study material.

if you are in the market for a class, go to CORE if you can swing the travel. if you need something closer to home go to Rifles Only, south of corpus. kingsville iirc
    I second this.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Wind is by far the most difficult aspect of long range shooting. My suggestion would be to buy a Kestrel (they're pricey, but you'll end up buying one eventually) and carry it around with you every time you go outside. Try to estimate wind speed and check your work with the Kestrel until you get within 1-2 mph every time.

Beyond that just shoot. Nothing beats time behind the gun.
    I have a kestrel. It is the way to go. gives you your elevation and windage adjustments very accurately. Saves a lot of frustration especially when you are just starting out. As you develop the fundamentals of long range shooting and get some trigger time you will begin to be able to judge distances and wind for yourself.

I am lazy have the kestrel elite and soon I will be pairing it with the bushnell rangefinder. Then the elevation and windage adjustments are right there on your phone. You can even print out a range card and tape it to your stock if you want to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    I am lazy have the kestrel elite and soon I will be pairing it with the bushnell rangefinder. Then the elevation and windage adjustments are right there on your phone. You can even print out a range card and tape it to your stock if you want to.
    I am running the Kestrel Elite/Bushnell Conx combo, works really well, you wont be dissapointed.

OP, I may have missed someone else mentioning it but I would suggest this book by Bryan Litz:

https://store.appliedballisticsllc.c...oductCode=0002

For me, understanding the "why" is just as important as the "how to".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post

Thanks, I am looking for more self study and any far travel isn't an option. I will look into Rifles Only though, I might could swing that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I know it's a good drive for you but check these guys out. I have trained pistol with them and I was happy with the class. They are very down to earth and they spend time with every student. From what I understand the long range classes are the read and butter of this school. I am taking the basic long range class in April.

http://badlandstactical.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those are good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    Thanks, I am looking for more self study and any far travel isn't an option. I will look into Rifles Only though, I might could swing that.

IMO, for self study:
    Go to https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex and watch his sniper 101 videos
    Go to https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneWolfUSMC and watch whatever videos look interesting to you
    Go to https://www.youtube.com/user/buryceberg and watch whatever videos look interesting to you
    Go to http://precisionrifleblog.com/ and read literally everything
    Pick up and read books written by Brian Litz
    Get a Kestrel and practice wind calls throughout the day
    Get something with a mil reticle and a laser range finder and practice estimating range with the reticle then checking your work with the laser, although it's not as important as wind reading practice
    Get the Applied Ballistics app on your phone if you don't have the more expensive Kestrel with it already on it
    Get out and shoot with a spotter, and be a spotter yourself. Spotting and adjusting fire is more difficult than basic rifle marksmanship. You'll learn a lot more and you won't spend money doing it.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-15-16 at 13:17.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    For the Kestrel and range finder, do you guys have any suggestions on which ones to buy that won't break the bank? There seems to be a variety in price/models for the Kestrel and obviously with range finders as well. I'm normally a buy once cry once kind of guy but I don't think I really need top of the line gear for the level of shooting I will be doing (and I would like to not need either once I improve on estimating).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You'll likely always want a laser range finder.

Range estimation requires three things:
    The ability to measure mils on your scope.
    The ability to guess the actual size of the target.
    The ability to do math, sometimes under pressure.

If you have a mil dot master or a calculator or something, math is easy. If you can get a stable position, measuring mils is relatively easy. Guessing the actual size of a target is something that can require practice though.

A laser range finder will get you the solution nearly instantly, regardless of math, looking at tiny lines, and knowing what it is you're aiming at.

A kestrel is important because incorrect wind calls cause most misses further than 2-300m or so. But at risk of going against ancient wisdom, as you get to shoot further distances, a kestrel is less important. Why? Because the wind changes from where you are to where the target is. I've had at least 3 different wind directions between me and a target at ~700m. Reading flags, grass, trees, mirage, and other things becomes more important in that case. Also, generally, your target won't move closer or further, so laser range finding it once will be accurate. But the wind changes, sometimes every few seconds. As a spotter, it's hard to juggle a kestrel and your scope and controlling your shooter. IMO, you're better off using the kestrel as a learning tool at first and as a "stupid check" in the field, but your personal skill in wind reading will still matter regardless if you have the most expensive kestrel or not.

So I'd say get a low end kestrel and get the best laser range finder that you can afford, within reason. You probably don't need anything made by Vectronix if you don't reach further than a km.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-15-16 at 17:18.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast