Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking a scope

Feedback Score

Picking a scope

Hey guys just thought I'd ask your opinion before making my final decision on a new scope. The options are the SWFA-SS 16x42 or the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44. The price point is a little better on the Vortex and it has a variable zoom but I've also heard outstanding things for the SWFA as for their overall quality of their scopes and glass. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I love the quality of SWFA and own two of them (3-15 and 5-20), but I don't like a fixed power scope personally. I hunt a lot and shoot a lot of long range, including competitions etc, and I think you will be much happier with a variable power scope. Out of those two, I would go with the Vortex, and I have been extremely happy with my Vortex scopes (although they are the more expensive ones Gen II Razor 4.5-27).

That being said, it also helps to know your budget and intended use for the scope. If you let us know how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it, there may be some other good options in your price range if you aren't firm on those two.

Feedback Score
    My budget is right around $350 and the rifle will only be used for distance shooting at the range I doubt I would ever hunt with it.

Feedback Score
    Everyone has a different opinion on what scope is best, but if it were me, I would go with this scope for that price: http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x4...pe-P47408.aspx

I started out with this exact scope and shot out to 1,600 yards with it frequently. It tracked perfectly, had a good reticle, and had decent glass. I like it because it gives you FFP and MRAD with a good reticle and repeatable turret tracking for a lot less money than most FFP scopes. The focal plane (FFP vs SFP) and unit of measurement (MRAD vs MOA) are both personal preference as well, but having shot a lot of long range, I personally prefer FFP and MRAD in my long range scopes.

Anyway, get the scope that you feel the best about, but I think the Falcon Menace is a great option to consider in that price range

Feedback Score
    I've had good experiences with the SWFA fixed power scopes. Both other older mil/MOA model and the newer mil/mil model.

On the other hand I have a friend who had a falcon menace on his rifle and that thing was the biggest POS I've seen. Parallax adjustment would not work resulting in both out of focus view and out of adjustment parallax. Falcon was also much less than helpful and insisted he ship the scope to England and pay for repairs. Granted this is a sample size of one, but I will never reccomend the falcon based on that experience.

I don't think you can beat the fixed power SWFA at the OP's price point.
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 03-11-16 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have the 12x from swfa. It is very nice. I also has two of the crossfires. Reticle was canted on each so i sold the third for the swfa. The fixed 16 will have a small field of view.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IF I was going to get a fixed I would get the 10x and for sure not over the 12X. Why not try the primary arms 4-14 FFP? I know they are a cheaper company but many people are shooting to 1k and beyond with that scope.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Take a good look at that SS 10X in the EE.

Feedback Score
    I haven't looked into primary arms very much. I've decided to drop the particular vortex I was looking at as an option. If I do go with the SWFA I think it will be the 12x after doing a bit more research today. Also Kenneth what is the EE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradh90 View Post
    I haven't looked into primary arms very much. I've decided to drop the particular vortex I was looking at as an option. If I do go with the SWFA I think it will be the 12x after doing a bit more research today. Also Kenneth what is the EE?

I've had a few buddies run the Primary Arms 4-14 and they were good scopes for the money and tracked well. My Falcon Menace, as well as the other people I know who have run them, all worked great, but to each their own. You'll find stories of a bad scope on the internet from every single manufacturer ever to exist, so keep that in mind.

SWFA is definitely the best quality out of all the scopes mentioned in this thread, and awesome scopes for the money, I just don't like fixed power optics for long range, and I shoot a LOT of long range. But if all you want to do is lay prone and want one magnification for everything, the SWFA will be a great scope for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast