Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking a scope

Feedback Score
    I actually never considered fixed power until recently when chatting with a buddy who shoots quite a bit of long range and he suggested it to me. I like the idea of a variable zoom scope. Just being so new to this I don't know what's the best bang for my buck at my price range. I'll take any recommendations to give me more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Does your buddy have a fixed power scope? If so, maybe see if he'll let you shoot it next to a variable power scope and see how you like it. But the benefits of a variable scope are really noticed when you are shooting in situations other than just prone or from a bench (ex: matches when shooting multiple distances, off barricades, from unconventional positions, hunting, etc.) I compete in long range matches locally and in the PRS Series with some of the best shooters around, and i've never once seen a fixed power scope being used.

BUT - if all of your shooting is going to be from the prone or off a bench, a fixed power scope can be just fine. I really don't want to sound like i'm hating on fixed power scopes, they are just more limited in their application. If you do get one, I think the 12x would be the best all around power setting.

Feedback Score
    He started out the SWFA fixed 16x for a while until he was able to afford a Nightforce. He no longer has the fixed so unfortunately cannot try it out. From what you're saying I can see how limiting that fixed power can be which makes me want to stray away from that. I'm use to using variable zoom so maybe I'll stick to that and find some good options.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha. Ya, if you're used to variable zoom, I would look at the variable options within your budget, or save a little longer for something nicer. But I know a lot of people, myself included, who started with something like a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil or Falcon Menace or something like that if they had a budget of $350 or less, and had good success. Maybe some others can chime in with other options in your price range as well.

Here is the primary Arms option: http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...kt-pa4-14xffp/ Gives you variable power, first focal plane, and mils for $229. The ones i've seen all tracked well

The other thing you will want to do is download a good ballistic calculator app on your phone and chrono your gun to the ammo you shoot so you can get your exact dope etc. This will allow you to use your turrets and mil hashes to dial for your longer range shots. If you have specific questions about that, feel free to send me a PM and i'd be happy to help explain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradh90 View Post
    I haven't looked into primary arms very much. I've decided to drop the particular vortex I was looking at as an option. If I do go with the SWFA I think it will be the 12x after doing a bit more research today. Also Kenneth what is the EE?

The equipment exchange. Isn't that what is called here? It's the classified section where you can buy used.

If your wanting some excellent info and have a lot of time to waste I suggest you watch this guy on YouTube. He ain't no joke and can make first round hits at 1500 yards.

http://youtu.be/TRpBxLbxhAo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    IF I was going to get a fixed I would get the 10x and for sure not over the 12X...
    +1

The upper end of my biggest scope is 16x, and that's a LOT. It's VERY easy to get "lost" in the scope at that power.

Mine's a 4-16x50, so a 3.125mm exit pupil at 16x, but a 16x42 would be only a 2.625mm exit pupil, which would be even worse: easier to lose the image, and darker.

Feedback Score
    So after spending some time researching reading and watching reviews and comparing features I decided on the Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12