Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Shotgun Rounds, anyone here use them?

Feedback Score

Mini Shotgun Rounds, anyone here use them?

Any reviews with them by anyone here? How do they cycle in pumps vs semi auto tube fed shotguns?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I tried to run them years ago in an 870. Some of the guys modified the lifter/elevator and made them work better but it wasn't worth the effort to me. Here is a quote from Midway.

"Notes from Aguila on Shotgun Modifications to use Minishells: First of all, any SAAMI/CIP approved 12ga shotgun may fire minishells, be it side-by-side, over-and-under or pump action; however, the latter type will not cycle them flawlessly. The out-of-the-box shotgun that we have tested cycling minishells very well, is the Winchester M1300 18" Defender. Winchesters 1897 seems to like the shorter rounds, however not as much as the Winchester 1300. We still have to test the Winchester 1887.

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. To further solve the problem, we have lengthened and widened the little short metal bar (shell elevator), which catches the round to be subsequently fed to the ramp and chamber. This modification will not prevent you from firing regular size shot shells. The other modification that would decisively help in the proper cycling, would be to install the ejector in a more forward position to catch the spent shorter shell and eject it, before it may flip and cause jams. However, we DO NOT recommend you to do this, because you will most likely no longer be able to fire regular size shells[/B]

[B]Any competent gunsmith should be able to perform the modification to the elevator described above.

REMINGTONS 870s seem to require a more involved modification, which we have never attempted. We have received calls from clients stating that they have tried our minishells in their 870s with excellent results, and that they did not understand why we have always mentioned the potential cycling problems. To this, we would like to state once more that minishells will not cycle flawlessly in regular pump action shotguns, no matter how well some customers are able to cycle them. Again, the Winchester 1300 Defender would seem to be the one cycling minishells best.

We do not know of any semi-automatic shotguns functioning with minishells"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I tried to run them years ago in an 870. Some of the guys modified the lifter/elevator and made them work better but it wasn't worth the effort to me. Here is a quote from Midway.
    I tried them in a Winchester 1300 clone and Mossberg 500 and 590. None worked.

Work in a SxS great though! (2.5 in, Aguila Mini shells, etc)

Feedback Score
    Bought a box of Aguila once just to test. Cycled fine in a Win Defender, erratically in a Mav 88, and not at all in an 870. I doubt they would cycle any semi.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a case of these about 10 years ago and ran them through Win 1300s, 870s, and Mossberg 500s. Feeding was unreliable. If you prayed and pumped at the same time and held your mouth right, they would feed most of the time. If a guy had a double barrel 12 ga and wished to use a round that had little recoil, these would suffice. But, he would do better to buy Remington's or Winchester's lightest premium target load which costs about the same. I never found a purpose for the mini shells, although I tried.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I bought a case of these about 10 years ago and ran them through Win 1300s, 870s, and Mossberg 500s. Feeding was unreliable. If you prayed and pumped at the same time and held your mouth right, they would feed most of the time. If a guy had a double barrel 12 ga and wished to use a round that had little recoil, these would suffice. But, he would do better to buy Remington's or Winchester's lightest premium target load which costs about the same. I never found a purpose for the mini shells, although I tried.
    That's me. I've fired all kinds of 2.5 inch and shorter shell's in my SXS coach gun. Very fun! It made me understand the useful/fun-ness of even a single shot 12 gauge shotgun.

You are correct about the very light target 2.75 inch loads. I plan to get a pump gun and use them for fun/practice.

About the mini-shells, I've found them to be fun, though not cheap, to shoot. And to introduce people to shotguns. Also, they would do well against a snake or other small critter when you don't want to freak out the neighborhood. They are half as loud as a low-brass #8 load.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-14-16 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Exactly, anything less than 2.75 reduced recoil loads and you may as well buy a BB gun. Lean into those shots.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A buddy used them in a Keltec KSG... they worked fine.

Feedback Score
    Tried them for fun, wouldn't load for crap in my Mossbergs or an 870. Strangely enough my 97 ran them just fine. Don't see much point in them for real world use though.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    They "cycle" fine in double barrels, not so much in autos or pumps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast