Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AICS Mag tough to feed

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

AICS Mag tough to feed

I got a PTG DBM, Badger bolt knob, and an AICS mag for my Rem700 build this week.

It was professionally installed and the bolt is right where it should be when feeding rounds from the magazine.

However, especially with a full mag, the bolt is pretty tough to cycle. I've read that it appears to be pretty common to remove some material/bend the feed lips for the first 1/4" or so of the magazine in order to smooth out the operations. I think this is pretty ****ing retarded considering I spent $80 on the magazine alone and $300+ on the DBM. Is this true? I mean, it has to be something because the bolt is no where near as smooth as I would like it to be.

Let's just assume for sake of argument the DBM is installed correctly - because it is.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-05-16 at 06:54.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Try leaving the mag loaded untill the next range session. A friend of mine has a 700sps in an element chassis that has the same issue when he fully loads his 10rnd AICS mag. It's getting better with time. Altering geometry on the magazine seems like a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    i also am shocked at how many long range guys futz with the feed lips on their magazines. i never have and think it's a horrible idea. granted, polishing them is reasonable. but i don't bend them.

there are actually some pretty nifty tools for bending feed lips.

i shot an ackley for many many years, and the straighter walls on that case made it somewhat stiff to put 10 rounds in an AICS mag. in combination, the early bighorn action i had wasn't machined correctly on the feed port, so it pushed the lips in and the result was for the first year or two i ran with 9 rounds in the mag. i returned it and got it fixed. and was able to run 10 comfortably. the top one is pretty tight though.

if you're using a standard tapered cartridge like 308 or creedmoor or whatever, and you're having trouble with the 10th round, something is probably not right. but normally there is definitely a little more friction with a full mag. it shouldn't be difficult to cycle though, just more friction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why not just cut a coil off the mag spring?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I just spent a while inspecting it. The magazine is straight. The round is pointed right at the middle of the feed ramp. Everything looks perfect, but I'm telling you that I barely have the strength to shove that first round forward. It is so damn difficult. It's not getting hung up on the rifle or anything, the round is just stuck in the magazine. In order to generate enough leverage I have to put the barrel on the floor and shove the bolt forward putting all of my body weight into it.

ETA: I just did some googling and ended up sanding the feed lips very slightly. No more gouges in my brass, appears to be feeding smoothly now, and no rounds are popping out when the mag is full. How irritating for a $400 setup.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-05-16 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The magazine spring is too long, not leaving enough room for all the rounds even when fully compressed. If you cut off a coil, it will solve your problem.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    so polishing/sanding fixed it?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'm not thinking its the coil spring because it is tough to feed until about half way down the mag and even then it left deep (you can feel them with your finger) gouges on all 10 cases.

Sanding the feed lips appears to have fixed both issues. I haven't had much free time, but it certainly was "shoulder cycle-able" when I did it this morning. I may take just a hair more off actually. I am using a grinding stone underneath the feed lips, if that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm not thinking its the coil spring because it is tough to feed until about half way down the mag and even then it left deep (you can feel them with your finger) gouges on all 10 cases.

Sanding the feed lips appears to have fixed both issues. I haven't had much free time, but it certainly was "shoulder cycle-able" when I did it this morning. I may take just a hair more off actually. I am using a grinding stone underneath the feed lips, if that makes sense.
    Seeing the same issue with AICS 10 rounders in my MDT HS3 chassis. I thought the same thing regarding such rough feeding from $80 mags. I have been going the route of shooting them in and hoping they improve. Also going to try Magpuls and see how they do.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I also get some good scratches on both sides of my 300 win brass. Both 5 and 10 rounders. I have just dealt with it up to now. I am going to give a stone a try and see if that improves things. I was just going to wait til the magpul LA mags hit the shelves, but I think Ill give this a go..
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast