Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AICS Mag tough to feed

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I was at the point where I had nothing to lose. If I ruined the magazine I'd just get another one. But I'm glad I did it. I didn't go ham with the sanding, just a light file back and forth underneath both lips.

The hardest part was loading and unloading the magazine to test for function as I made progress.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-05-16 at 06:55.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would say it's slight tolerance issue with the DBM, mag and action. My guess is the mag fitment is tight, how it "rides" relative to the receiver. I would take a tight first round out verses the bolt overriding the round. Did you try another mag?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I would say it's slight tolerance issue with the DBM, mag and action. My guess is the mag fitment is tight, how it "rides" relative to the receiver. I would take a tight first round out verses the bolt overriding the round. Did you try another mag?
    Can't speak for Eurodriver but mine are with each round. I often only load five at a time and have the same experience with them downloaded. The feed lips on them seem exceedingly tight. Mine are pretty new and don't have a lot of rounds through them yet so I am going to keep shooting them to see if they settle in but I am also going to try the Magpuls and see how they hold up.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    These are double stack, SINGLE FEED magazines. They two things I can think of in the feeding cycle causing this the bolt riding on the magazine (top of) But unlikely. The other is excessive magazine spring tension which I've never experienced in the 5-6 various platforms I've had with a AICS. Since the bolt over rides the magazine and pushes the round forward, those are the two things having friction. The stoning of the underside of the feed lips may minimize the excessive spring tension if there's rough edges.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    These are double stack, SINGLE FEED magazines. They two things I can think of in the feeding cycle causing this the bolt riding on the magazine (top of) But unlikely. The other is excessive magazine spring tension which I've never experienced in the 5-6 various platforms I've had with a AICS. Since the bolt over rides the magazine and pushes the round forward, those are the two things having friction. The stoning of the underside of the feed lips may minimize the excessive spring tension if there's rough edges.
    I thought about mag height/bolt interference but there is no issue running it with an empty mag inserted. This is my first mag fed bolt gun so I may just need to run them in a little. I did expect them to be smoother out of the box. I am also going to have my buddy run them in a couple of his rifles to see if it is my set up or the mags.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Why not just cut a coil off the mag spring?
    nobody likes this guy's idea

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    Because it doesn't apply, and the magazine was made excellent by sanding down the scoring under the feed lips.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Because it doesn't apply, and the magazine was made excellent by sanding down the scoring under the feed lips.
    Yup. I had assumed that the difficulty in inserting rounds was due to the mag spring being fully compressed and physically preventing additional rounds going in. Didn't realize that it was just poor quality fit and finish on the mag body.

Either way, something that should have been addressed before shipping to the customer. Especially on an $80 magazine.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Either way, something that should have been addressed before shipping to the customer. Especially on an $80 magazine.
    No kidding! I thought for sure my smith messed up the install, but with PMAGs working great and the AICS working great after the modification I can't blame that. Additionally, Google will reveal many people saying they too had to sand their AICS mags on Sniper's Hide - where I got the idea.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-05-16 at 06:55.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    No kidding! I thought for sure my smith messed up the install, but with PMAGs working great and the AICS working great after the modification I can't blame that. Additionally, Google will reveal many people saying they too had to sand their AICS mags - where I got the idea.
    are the magpul aics style mags good to go?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast