Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TAP question

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD View Post
    I can't find the knowledge based thread on this site to refer to, but will siimply say that the 1 in 12 twist barrel in the M-16 was never a prefect match, nor was it even a good match at any temperature with the M193, or any .223 or 5.56mm bullet for that matter.
    1/12 twist is the optimal rate for M193, and is the optimal twist rate for accuracy from a 55 grain projectile. There was a mil chart posted on ARF years back that showed 1/12 to give the best accuracy. That said, I've had several 1/7s that give me excellent accuracy with 55 grain bullets.

Perfect match? Maybe not... what is perfect? Almost everything is a compromise. But not good? I completely disagree. And so did the Army when they selected a twist rate.

In my opinion, switching from M193 to M855 lessened the effectiveness of the M16/M4 weapon.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    1/12 twist is the optimal rate for M193, and is the optimal twist rate for accuracy from a 55 grain projectile. There was a mil chart posted on ARF years back that showed 1/12 to give the best accuracy. That said, I've had several 1/7s that give me excellent accuracy with 55 grain bullets.

Perfect match? Maybe not... what is perfect? Almost everything is a compromise. But not good? I completely disagree. And so did the Army when they selected a twist rate.

In my opinion, switching from M193 to M855 lessened the effectiveness of the M16/M4 weapon.
    I agree with you on both points. I looked back through my files, and realized I mis-spoke about the early 1 in 12 twist being one of the biggest problems with earlly AR/M-16's when the problem was the switch in powder in the 5.56mm cartridges to a ball powder which is universally blamed as causing problems for M-16's in service in Vietnam from reliability to accuracy problems if the rifle wasn't cleaned frequently, which at first was also impossible because the M-16 was marketed as a low maintenance rifle so no cleaning kits or instructions were included for the G.I.'s until later.

I still don't understand the great benefit the M855 delivers. It's supposed to have a steel core to help in light armor/ballistic vest and helmet penetration? From what I've read it may do that, but at the expense of losing the excellent anti-personnel terminal ballistics of the M193. I suspect, but am not sure, that the M855 is more likely to deliver more "ice pick" wounds than the M193. But, the military is now off to some advanced and very effective bullet designs; too bad that most soldiers have to still load M855, imho.

Feedback Score
    Came back to the subject just to smooth thing out a bit. First of all, got a little overheated on my last post and that should have not happened.
    I'm in total agreement with Demigod. What I said about the twist rate vs bullet weight for the 1-9" and 1-7",as I said, I'm not an expert but I think it's pretty close.
    The part about anything much less than 55 gr, could break up in flight if fired from the 1-7", I believe that I read that on arf a while back. I don't know how common that is. Hornady claims that the TAP40U is intended for use in a 1-7"-1-12". So that seems to contradict that theory. Why is Hornady making .223 40 gr bullet for defense/offense, makes no sense to me.
    THE INTENT OF BEING HERE WAS JUST TO LET BIGSHOOTER KNOW that if had a 1-9", not to go out an buy a case of the 5.56 TAP without first knowing if it would stabilize properly. Didn't want to get into any of this stuff.
    I'm new at this posting bussines and I learned a lesson here.

Lighen up Darrin D, those were blanks that I fired at you and they were propelled with the old dirty powder.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Topraider,

Who is the POC for this and where did you get the info? Do you just call the customer service number?

Quote Originally Posted by topraider View Post
    I test fire the different Lot #'s and put the rest away for any real situation that may come up.
    If you are a LEO or millitary (active or retired) you can buy it directly from Hornady for about half the price that you would get anywhere else., but you have to buy it by the case ,I believe. A case is 200 rds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Topraider,

Who is the POC for this and where did you get the info? Do you just call the customer service number?
    I'm sure topraider will PM you... but you have to contact the LE division.

You can have the ammo shipped to my house for safe keep while you're waiting to move here!!! I promise to only shoot most of it!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Kathy McHale, Law Enforcement Division
    Hornady Mfg. Co.
    800-338-3220 ext. 200

She'll take care of you. They have a waiver form your department / unit needs to sign (you realize this is 5.56 and not .223, therefore Hornady will not take responsibility for any overpressure issue a .223 chambered barrel may provide) and you will need to send in a copy of your .mil or LE ID.

While not quoted a 50% discount for .mil, it was quite generous.

Cheers,
    Pk

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The move is complete, so there! And there is no way I would ship ammo to a gun nut. That's like giving crack to an addict.

Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I'm sure topraider will PM you... but you have to contact the LE division.

You can have the ammo shipped to my house for safe keep while you're waiting to move here!!! I promise to only shoot most of it!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Made the call and just got hooked up with a few cases. Wow, what a price difference. Thanks for the tip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123