Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget battle rifle

Feedback Score
    I would take a PTR first also I only started looking at the c308 cause their built on PTR receivers, and I've read plenty about century and their past issues but it "sounds like there better now than years ago" 4-5 years ago I wouldn't even think about any of there guns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Friends don't let friends buy a Century ...

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSon View Post
    I would take a PTR first also I only started looking at the c308 cause their built on PTR receivers, and I've read plenty about century and their past issues but it "sounds like there better now than years ago" 4-5 years ago I wouldn't even think about any of there guns.
    Century still sucks. The guns they import are OK, WASRs and PAPs and Caniks and military bolt actions.

But the guns they make, like the RAS47 and C39v2 are steaming piles. I see no reason why it is that they could get a roller lock right if they can't get an AK right. (And the issues with their AKs aren't due to their receivers, but everything else: Bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, front trunnion, &c.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Lol. I get it, but you know part of my problem with the whole AK thing as well is I see people complaining about issues on a $1000 Arsenal rifle like they do a cheaper AK just doesn't happen as often. I was really looking into AKs for reliability and ammo cost but the more I learn about them they aren't really a budget gun at all for a good one. It's just hard to swallow thinking about spending the same if not more for an AK than I did my AR. That's what has led me to look into the .308 realm it's just twice the price to shoot it!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Order a WASR or PAP from Atlantic. Should run you about $600-650. Maybe a little more. Shouldn't have any problems: WASRs and PAPs are usually pretty good. Atlantic makes sure they are straight enough to function and be zeroed before they ship. And if you do have a problem, Atlantic will take care of you, even if Century won't.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You are looking for a PTR91, it is over 800$ by a bit

Feedback Score
    Ok gotcha, I've heard if you can inspect a wasr before you buy it and doesn't have the usual problems then they are good guns.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSon View Post
    Ok gotcha, I've heard if you can inspect a wasr before you buy it and doesn't have the usual problems then they are good guns.
    Yes, Atlantic inspects these guns before shipping. WASR's are getting great reviews these days, and ammo is cheaper than .308. But these aren't battle rifles.

For Battle rifle, the PTR-91 or DSA Voyager (FAL) from Atlantic would be a good choice (but both are over $800). A nice Imbel kit build or Century FAL (that works) may also be found for around $1,000 on the Falfiles. And sometimes you can score a used M1A in the $1000-$1200 range.

I don't really put the AR-10 into the battle rifle category (although it is). I see it more of a precision semi-auto rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
    Yes, Atlantic inspects these guns before shipping. WASR's are getting great reviews these days, and ammo is cheaper than .308. But these aren't battle rifles.

For Battle rifle, the PTR-91 or DSA Voyager (FAL) from Atlantic would be a good choice (but both are over $800). A nice Imbel kit build or Century FAL (that works) may also be found for around $1,000 on the Falfiles. And sometimes you can score a used M1A in the $1000-$1200 range.

I don't really put the AR-10 into the battle rifle category (although it is). I see it more of a precision semi-auto rifle.
    Whatever category you put them in I just want a reliable and rugged semi-auto rifle with more knock down power than my AR within the same effective range. And I'd love to get my hands on a socom or scout squad M1a especially a socom. Not sure if I'm willing to spend that much but I'd consider it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
    How difficult/expensive would it be to home build a .308 AR *as* a battle rifle? By that I mean a more or less "KISS" .308 rifle occupying pretty much the same niche as a stock HK or FAL....like basically a somewhat modernized take on the original AR-10s. Is it even worth it to try or would the end result be too pricey to justify a project with that goal?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast