Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's The Love For The M14?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm fully capable of doing my own searching when pointed in the right direction. However, can you or anyone translate please? What is LRB, PTR, and an HK roller lock?

Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    I've wanted an LRB for some time now

I've also not been able to afford one for some time now

$3000+ for an M1a that is hard to mount optics (I think the best option is the m25 received LRB has) to versus less than $1000 for a PTR91 so I'd probably get the PTR first since the quality is decently good, the price is decently good, and HK roller lock derivatives look cool

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I'm fully capable of doing my own searching when pointed in the right direction. However, can you or anyone translate please? What is LRB, PTR, and an HK roller lock?
    PTR is a company that produces semi auto H&K G3 clones(HK91 for us in Merica). Roller-lock is the term used for how legacy HK's operate. I'm not 100% sure on the LRB but it has to do with the receiver on more accurate M14 models.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Where's the love? Why it's right here:
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Transferable select-fire guns or on gov loan?
    Those appear to be semi autos with fake selector kits installed, no center take down notches.

For SAI M1A's the period from 1986/1996 or roughly serial no. 40,000 to 100,000 SAI had a lot of USGI parts and the receivers were still built by Melvin Smith at Valley Ordinance, those receivers were among the best SAI ever used. These were the years SAI was making it's reputation and building some of their best standard rifles, if you can find one of these in decent condition and $1,500 or less I would snap it up. During this time frame Melvin would adjust the receiver head space to time correctly with different GI chrome lined barrels, this number would be electopenciled on bottom of receiver, a nice touch.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-15-16 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    PTR is a company that produces semi auto H&K G3 clones(HK91 for us in Merica). Roller-lock is the term used for how legacy HK's operate. I'm not 100% sure on the LRB but it has to do with the receiver on more accurate M14 models.
    LRB is for LRB Arms, a company that produces high end M14's. They machine their receivers from hammer forgings and offer basic rifles and custom builds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
    LRB is for LRB Arms, a company that produces high end M14's. They machine their receivers from hammer forgings and offer basic rifles and custom builds.
    Awesome and thank you for that... I had no idea.

Feedback Score
    As far as reliability in adverse conditions, the G-3 seems to be superior.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to have a hard-on for the M14. Now, while I never fired an M14, I have fired a friend's Springfield M1A, as well as a Norinco "M14". That was a splash of cold water of reality. Awkward, heavy, not ergonomic, meh. There are WAY better .308 autoloader options out there.
    Apparently (if it matters to you) it does not play well with sand and mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfGq1yk66Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPjlcJ3rtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6J5m4_Is_s

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Questionable youtube videos do not change the fact that recent fairly military usage to include all branches of the U.S. military including SEALs under desert combat conditions has left us with a distinct lack of widespread internet complaining about the failures of the M14. The M14 was pressed into service as a gap filler to get a 7.62 rifle into the hands of warfighters until more modern weapons such as the SCAR 17 and M110K1 could get into the pipeline and it performed adequately as a DMR or EBR. A properly maintained M14 was plenty reliable, today it really has no place in the U.S. military. But for civilians who are looking for an example of a U.S. service main battle rifle a good M1A can be a fine choice and can still be found at reasonable cost.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Questionable youtube videos do not change the fact that recent fairly military usage to include all branches of the U.S. military including SEALs under desert combat conditions has left us with a distinct lack of widespread internet complaining about the failures of the M14. The M14 was pressed into service as a gap filler to get a 7.62 rifle into the hands of warfighters until more modern weapons such as the SCAR 17 and M110K1 could get into the pipeline and it performed adequately as a DMR or EBR. A properly maintained M14 was plenty reliable, today it really has no place in the U.S. military. But for civilians who are looking for an example of a U.S. service main battle rifle a good M1A can be a fine choice and can still be found at reasonable cost.
    Maybe back in the day, but given the options today, I'd take a G3/FAL/Galil/AR-10/SR-25/LMT MWS/SCAR 17 over the M14 every single day of the week.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1157374 was the sn. of the Winchester M-14 I was issued at MCRD in 1968, I qualified as a expert rifleman in bootcamp which was no
    mean feat. I had been to Camp Perry twice as a junior before graduating high school so maybe I was a ringer because I was not a novice.
    I legged out with a Springfield NM M1A as many others did, that said it is a rifle for rifleman.
    Not easily scoped and rather cumbersome when scoped in my opinion. BUT and it is a big but, it is a fearsome weapon when fielded by a
    trained rifleman, it is lively in the hands though heavy by todays standards, balanced perfectly for snap shots for those times when prone
    and kneeling positions are not applicable.
    It hits hard, penetrates cover that lesser cartridges cannot, and it is fearsome at 600 yds. Although obsolete as the M1 Garand by todays
    standards I would not care to come under fire from either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast