Thread: More Vets With TBI Than Thought

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

More Vets With TBI Than Thought

This is a potentially important finding for many vets. At the same time however, there's tests and treatments for TBI being overlooked and ignored for those already diagnosed with post TBI syndromes (PTS) that could be and should be employed now:

US Combat Veterans Not Alone with Brain Injuries

Tens of thousands of American combat veterans returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan with undiagnosed brain injuries often were "thrown into a canyon" -- falling deeper into despair and sometimes flirting with suicide or addiction -- before trying to get help, according to a Johns Hopkins University study.

Written by Rachel P. Chase, Shannon A. McMahon and Peter J. Winch, researchers at the Baltimore university's Department of International Health, the study published in the December issue of Social Science and Medicine builds on previous work at Johns Hopkins. That work uncovered tens of thousands of undiagnosed and untreated brain injuries stemming from improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, the signature wound of America's 21st-century wars.

Innovations in body and vehicular armor saved the lives of troops who likely would have died of blast injuries in past wars, but survivors often had higher risk of memory loss, cognitive struggles, mood disorders, migraine headaches, addiction, insomnia and suicide.

The Johns Hopkins researchers conducted 38 in-depth interviews in 2013 and 2014 with Army combat veterans and their family members, and a model emerged: Veterans too often played down their wounds but became detached from friends and family. Many denied their downward spiral until a "wake-up call" forced them to seek help from Pentagon and Department of Veterans Affairs programs.

Aid could be difficult to obtain, however, without documentation that other soldiers obtained after 2007 because of better battlefield and post-deployment screening protocols.

"When veterans came to me before the study, there was so much uncertainty. They told me that they thought that they 'were alone' when they came home, but these actually were shared experiences. Their symptoms were very similar, so a picture of their lives post-blast exposure needed to be modeled," said Chase, who has a doctorate in international health from Johns Hopkins.

Veterans with the best outcomes typically had spouses who prodded them to get help or lived near a respected clinic that specialized in brain injury care or one that boasted an exceptionally good medical provider, "even within a reportedly low-functioning facility," researchers found.

The study found that veterans exposed to another bomb blast after 2010 -- when the military increased its efforts to diagnose and treat every brain injury from war or training -- often had better outcomes than those who were not wounded again.

Cont:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...=todayinmil.sm
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I imagine no one is surprised. How many vets, like football players, had their bell rung hard, was given a motrin, and went right back into the fight, and never really got checked out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I imagine no one is surprised. How many vets, like football players, had their bell rung hard, was given a motrin, and went right back into the fight, and never really got checked out?
    This is a sad reality. In 2004, I was hit by a mortar while on a rooftop in Ramadi, Iraq. It knocked the ever living shit out of me, but I really never thought much of it. Some time after, I started having these terrible migraines. I'd throw up, and they'd just completely wipe me out. I ignored it until they started to become a little more frequent. So here we are 12 years later. We're still not 100% sure if the two are related, but it's a start.
    Last edited by Jewell; 08-09-16 at 05:09.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    This is a sad reality. In 2004, I was hit by a mortar while on a rooftop in Ramadi, Iraq. It knocked the ever living shit out of me, but I really never thought much of it. Some time after, I started having these terrible migraines. I'd throw up, and they'd just completely wipe me out. I ignored it until they started to become a little more frequent. So here we are 12 years later. We're still not 100% sure if the two are related, but it's a start.
    Neurologists might tell you that affects of TBI not seen immediately, some serious side effects can take 10-12 years to develop.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Deployed I had my bell rung on more than one occasion. My biggest "head injury"? At a school in Pensacola, in a "leadership reaction course" (the ones with the obstacles, you/your team are given tasks at each), I fell about 10 feet backward, hit the back of my head on a 'curb'. We were wearing Pro-Tek helmets, I cracked the shit out of it. Corpsman wanted to take me out, I fought it, they did quick neuro check and I stayed in. Since then my memory has been shit. I can just blank on my address or local streets. Weird. Related? No idea.