Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossfit...Cult, or Culture?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    I'd say you were in the right place if guys were repping squats at 450+.
    Here is one of our stronger athletes:
    https://www.facebook.com/12098897130...7605349641654/

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Where have I heard that before?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I knew that was coming sooner or later. But, like I said, she didn't do it during a workout, and she already had underlying issues with her back (ironic since her dad is a chiropractor). Her coaches always put form and safety over speed and reps and taught her to lift safely. The reason my wife couldn't get back into it after her back surgery is her own competitive nature and wanting to keep up with everyone else, knowing that she really shouldn't.

I'm grateful for those coaches teaching her how to lift safely, showing her the benefits of lifting, and giving her a strong foundation so that she can now lift safely at her own pace that doesn't irritate her back, while making the muscles surrounding her spine stronger to reduce the risk of reherniating her disc. Had she not gotten into crossfit, she'd still be doing endless hours walking on treadmills and wondering why she wasn't getting into shape. Now she's squatting 190 pounds and coming home ecstatic every time she hits a new PR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I knew that was coming sooner or later. But, like I said, she didn't do it during a workout, and she already had underlying issues with her back (ironic since her dad is a chiropractor). Her coaches always put form and safety over speed and reps and taught her to lift safely. The reason my wife couldn't get back into it after her back surgery is her own competitive nature and wanting to keep up with everyone else, knowing that she really shouldn't.

I'm grateful for those coaches teaching her how to lift safely, showing her the benefits of lifting, and giving her a strong foundation so that she can now lift safely at her own pace that doesn't irritate her back, while making the muscles surrounding her spine stronger to reduce the risk of reherniating her disc. Had she not gotten into crossfit, she'd still be doing endless hours walking on treadmills and wondering why she wasn't getting into shape. Now she's squatting 190 pounds and coming home ecstatic every time she hits a new PR.

I was just being a ball buster and intended as tongue in cheek comment. Having said that, I lost count a long time ago where I hear or read "I loved CF and got into great shape" followed by "until X injury happened"

When one looks at how CF traditionally approaches "elite fitness" it comes as no surprise at all and was fully expected and predicted by every coach worth his salt who took a look at CF when their mascot was a clown with rhabdomyolysis...

Per comments, beneficial changes have taken place - but of it stuff people associate with CF specifically - per comments made. I would say, those with pre existing injuries like your wife, CF probably not a great fit, but sounds like she's well on the mend.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I would certainly agree that CF is not the best path to elite fitness (I'm not sure that it even is one), but I do think that when done with legit coaches (many of which I find have previous years of experience and knowledge before CF) it can be very beneficial for those that have little to no experience or knowledge and get them excited about fitness.

Unfortunately, this makes it easy for those without the experience or knowledge to get sucked into the bad "boxes" and get injured.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would certainly agree that CF is not the best path to elite fitness (I'm not sure that it even is one), but I do think that when done with legit coaches (many of which I find have previous years of experience and knowledge before CF) it can be very beneficial for those that have little to no experience or knowledge and get them excited about fitness.

Unfortunately, this makes it easy for those without the experience or knowledge to get sucked into the bad "boxes" and get injured.
    I've been lifting weights "casually" for the last decade. Based on this, allegedly I am between intermediate and advanced, with some of my lifts hitting "elite" levels.
    http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards
    That said, my CF gym has kicked my ass hardcore, and made me a better athlete. I really think it boils down to selecting the right church to worship in, so to speak, based on what I'm reading here.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I've been lifting weights "casually" for the last decade. Based on this, allegedly I am between intermediate and advanced, with some of my lifts hitting "elite" levels.
    http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards
    That said, my CF gym has kicked my ass hardcore, and made me a better athlete. I really think it boils down to selecting the right church to worship in, so to speak, based on what I'm reading here.
    I agree 100%. I don't think you can put a blanket statement on all CF gyms. I just showed those standards to my wife, and she's in love with that site.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I agree 100%. I don't think you can put a blanket statement on all CF gyms. I just showed those standards to my wife, and she's in love with that site.
    Glad I made someone smile!

My work-out yesterday:

Back squats, 6 sets of 4, and 70%,70%, 75%, 75%, 80%, 80% of my max, respectively. (270#,280#,290# was what I used, full ROM)
    then a short break
    Then a circuit as fast as I could of:
    800m run
    70 wall-balls (10', 20#)
    60 box-overs (24" box)
    50 hanging power cleans (light weight, 95#)
    40 pull-ups
    30 overhead squats (again, light weight, 95#).

I am dog slow, and it took me 30:18, doing my pull-ups "strict" instead of kipping.

It incorporated strength, cardio, and stability as well as body-weight.
    Last edited by WS6; 03-16-16 at 03:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I work with several fellas who apparently live for it. One actually owns and operates a "box" thingy. Not for me personally, but they love it. If it floats your boat, go for it.

Just remember the 1st rule of crossfit, is to let everyone know you crossfit.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I work with several fellas who apparently live for it. One actually owns and operates a "box" thingy. Not for me personally, but they love it. If it floats your boat, go for it.

Just remember the 1st rule of crossfit, is to let everyone know you crossfit.
    Meh. My gym isn't like that, but when you get results with something, you share it. Like religion, or hunting ammo that works great, or a good shooting instructor's methods, or...anything that you like, really.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Glad I made someone smile!

My work-out yesterday:

Back squats, 6 sets of 4, and 70%,70%, 75%, 75%, 80%, 80% of my max, respectively. (270#,280#,290# was what I used, full ROM)
    then a short break
    Then a circuit as fast as I could of:
    800m run
    70 wall-balls (10', 20#)
    60 box-overs (24" box)
    50 hanging power cleans (light weight, 95#)
    40 pull-ups
    30 overhead squats (again, light weight, 95#).

I am dog slow, and it took me 30:18, doing my pull-ups "strict" instead of kipping.

It incorporated strength, cardio, and stability as well as body-weight.
    You forgot to give it a super fear inspiring name like the "silver moon destroyer", " volcano gorilla death machine", or "boiling cauldron of despair".. Lolz

But honestly that's not a bad one given the strength component. I could rant for days about box jumps..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast