Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot Vs Scope?

Feedback Score

Red Dot Vs Scope?

With some of the variable powered scopes, with illuminated reticles, when set on 1x, would they be as effective as a red dot, but giving an option of running up the power for a longer shot, or is this a 3gun gamer thing?

I have red dots, but have been looking at a Vortex.....any insights would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
    With some of the variable powered scopes, with illuminated reticles, when set on 1x, would they be as effective as a red dot, but giving an option of running up the power for a longer shot, or is this a 3gun gamer thing?

I have red dots, but have been looking at a Vortex.....any insights would be appreciated.
    Not quite as effective, but with practice you won't lose much time shooting with a variable on 1x. They're not just for 3gun gamers, and actually a lot of shooting sports innovations have moved over to the tactical world. In this case though, I think low power variables actually originated in the tactical world? http://www.vickerstactical.com/short-dot.html
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post

Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. I started with dot, went to a 1X4 and came back to a dot on my do everything but hunt rifle. I don't shoot groups and never will. Accuracy to me is hitting 12" plates off of an improvised rest at 250 yards with Federal bulk ammo. A dot works for me but may not for you.

Feedback Score
    I have an Aimpoint PRO on one rifle and a Bushnell 1x4 scope on another. I'm not fully sold on the 1x4. It's quite a bit heavier and I'm leaning towards agreement with GH. As long as I can engage a bad guy size target out to 250 to 300 yards I'm set. The scope might get sold for another red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I used to be a believer that a red dot is the only way to fly for a 5.56 carbine as most shooters worth their salt can hit targets out to perceived terminally effective range of a 5.56 coming out of a carbine. In the past few years, I have turned a complete 180. My setups at now are a minimum 1-4x.

First people talk about red dots being fast and magnified being slow. Truth is if you practice and have decent optics (daylight bright/good reticle/good glass) you can run with red dot speed. In changing environments, I sometimes have to hunt for or change my red dot brightness. Optics bring back an etched reticle that isn't battery dependant.

The big thing about optics is the ability to see/identify targets, and in some cases to FIND targets. I've been to comps where the plates aren't white/yellow but camo'd. And in my professional career, I can't say I've seen a suspect come out and assume a superman pose out in the open...they like to hide and peek around cover.

TL;DR: It's easy to hit visible targets with no magnification. Magnification increases your ability to see/identify. You can't hit what you haven't found or haven't seen.

Feedback Score

Red Dot Vs Scope?

The biggest advantage scopes have is the ability to magnify your vision resulting in better ID.

The biggest advantage the RDS has is no eye relief and no magnification resulting in faster target acquisition.

Just depends on what you will be using it for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Think of it as a good reason to purchase another rifle.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Think of it as a good reason to purchase another rifle.
    I like the way you think!

Feedback Score

Red Dot Vs Scope?

I have both and prefer a RDS with a flip to side 3x magnifier for my "go to, SHTF" rifle. I don't like giving up the eye relief, speed and durability of an RDS. Plus I can ring a plate at 300yds every time with just an RDS on this particular rifle anyway.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have found that any time the target is past 20 feet or so, the LPV dominates. If it's dark/night, or a small target, or anything else that obscures, the LPV dominates even harder. Comparing an LPV to a RDS is similar to comparing a RDS to Irons. Yes, each has a niche that they are "best" at, but I feel like the LPV has the broadest "envelope" of usefulness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast