Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Aero Precision 308 OEM Review

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    An example of one, FWIW.

An Aero 22" 6.5 CM upper (Brownells) SS BA 5R barrel.
    3-15 Steiner glass, handload with 140 ELD-M averaged 3/4 MOA or under at 100 (3 shot groups- load development).
    Had no problem maintaining MOA at 600 yds/6", or better for 5 shots.

I was fortunate that the load used in a couple bolt guns shot 'good enough" in the AR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    What's the barrel profile? 1.5 lbs of suppressor out at the end of the barrel might be upsetting your harmonics.
    It’s a heavy barrel profile

I Edited this post to give AP another chance to fix this gun. AP wants to reopen my ticket from 2016 on this gun and they want to look at the upper

BA does make the barrel but it will be warrantied through AP.

We shall see how this plays out.

I’ll keep this thread up to date.
    Last edited by ace4059; 07-24-18 at 10:30. Reason: Update on AP customer service

Feedback Score
    Helluva write up, thank you for sharing ace.

Feedback Score
    @ace4059

I have a few questions, and a few comments.

First... concerning the broken bolt catches, have you measured your BCG overtravel distance ? If the distance between your bolt catch and bolt face is over 3/16" , when the BCG is FULLY depressed into the buffer tube.. then that could be part of the issue.

To check, insert an empty mag into the mag well... ( so you don't inadvertently release the bolt lock and slam the BCG forward )

Then while using a punch or wood dowel ( NOT YOUR FINGER... it hurts if the BCG slams closed on a finger ).. fully depress the BCG to the bottom of the buffer tube.
    Measure the distance between the bolt face and the back ( shoulder side ) of the bolt catch.

If the distance is more then 3/16" ... adjust the distance by placing a 25 cent US quarter in the bottom of the buffer tube, under the recoil spring.

Do not adjust the distance less then 3/16" ... to small a distance, and the mag spring won't keep up with the cyclic speed of the BCG.

As for the accuracy...I'd suggest you lap / true the upper receiver face.... and try Loctiting in the barrel.

I have had excellent results from doing the lapping and "glue in"... I frequently refer to it as TnG... true and glue.

This video , from Criterion, shows better then I can explain. ( The other 3 videos are well worth viewing as well. )

Can you please post some photo's of the lower receiver connection point with the buffer tube..... I am curious if there are any banging marks.. from the BCG.

If there are... that could contribute to your FTF issues and FTE issues....

If your buffer tube is screwed in to far... that could also cause odd issues.

DPMS buffer systems / pattern... can be , fussy.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-12-18 at 00:34.

Feedback Score
    Oops... as for the charging handle dragging... can you see if the OEM AP charging handle has a "Tab" on the top front of it ?

It might be "wedging" in between the gas key, the upper receiver, and a the charging handle... no mil-spec thing for .308 AR's

And I am fairly sure... you should have a longer mag catch "bolt / threaded piece... all my Large frame AR's do.

And good write up, Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-12-18 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    Hi Ace! just finished up reading this.. damn i guess its been a nightmare..

two things i want to ask, how much play there is between the barrel and the upper receiver slot when installing it? (some aeros like one of mine have way too much play and could require some bedding job)

but theres also another important thing, what torque are you applying on your barrel nut? ive read in the beginning 35 foot pounds? i think it is a little loose for ar308.. higher torque specs have shown to give more accurate guns,

Daniel Defense recommend starting from 50 to 75 foot pounds on their DD 762 lite rail (and the barrel nut is very little) thats like double the torque if youre applying 35 foot pounds only.

if you still havent destroyed the gun i would try out these two things and check the results!!! let me know please! =)
    Last edited by Lallop; 03-31-19 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Basically this is where I’m at... BA made the barrel but will not warranty it since it’s sold by AP. I have to send it back to AP but it has to be configured as it was sold. This was a OEM stripped down model. I pinned the gas block and don’t want to have to strip off all the parts I put on this build to put the entire rifle back as purchased. I was wanting to send in the complete upper or the bare barrel. I way I see it is the only usable parts from this is the upper and lower receiver.
    The barrel is off the gun and I’m just going to purchase a quality barrel later this year once work slows down and chalk this up as a loss.

This is a lesson of buy once cry once. If I remember correctly AP replaced several parts that were out of spec so that has to tell you something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456