Thread: Best SBS ammunition?

Feedback Score

Best SBS ammunition?

I did not see any SBS questions in the NFA thread, so I thought I would try here. There are better snubby revolver rounds, better SBR ammo, so how about for shorty shotguns?

I have the paperwork in (check cashed) on SBSing a Mossberg 5500 Mk II. It used to shoot slugs great when I deer hunted with it way back when. Barrel will be in the 13" range, and this one is 2 3/4 non-magnum. Of course, I have about five months to get a magnum barrel to cut down if need be, but I think much of that power will simply be wasted as a big flame of late-burning powder. Sooo, any experts have any ideas? Copper solids may be better than lead slugs, or there is always 00 buckshot... Anything special made now?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Mission drives the gear train - what do you want to do with it?

I have a 12.5" 870 SBS. I'm running Federal solid copper Deep Penetrator slugs and Federal Flite Control #4 Buck through it. The different loads have different roles.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have a smooth or rifled barrel? It will be self defense...truck carry or home. I guess I am trying to find if technology has improved with the equipment (faster burning powders vs. blinding tongues of flame with advanced projectiles that will work at those velocities).

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Shotgun powders are fast burning. Think about it.. The only place the barrel is supported is at the chamber/forcing cone area. I'll bet the pressure has peaked before the projectile has cleared the forcing cone. I doubt you'll ever see a fire breathing shotgun with any barrel length.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Just reread and see the OP is talking about an autoloader. Is the old Mossberg gas operated?

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately I have not found any research on the 5500 Mk II and SBSing...I may be the first (though I have connected with smiths here that can widen a gas port if needed). Others have said it should operate fine. Its cousin, the 9200A1 is the closest to an SBS and the author of a SWAT Magazine piece mentioned some light tactical loads sometimes would not cycle (others did).
    Last edited by UpNorthWolf; 03-23-16 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthWolf View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have a smooth or rifled barrel? It will be self defense...truck carry or home. I guess I am trying to find if technology has improved with the equipment (faster burning powders vs. blinding tongues of flame with advanced projectiles that will work at those velocities).
    Mine is a smoothbore. Frankly, it's just a fun toy to play with at the range, and to experiment with. It's way down the list as a home defense weapon - I have a bunch of carbines and pistols ahead of it in that role.

It's your life, and your legal woes; but I would be very hesitant to leave an NFA weapon unattended in a truck, even locked up. All my NFA doodads live in a separate safe at home, and I'm the only one with the combo.

I'm just not a believer in a "truck gun". A good friend had to bury two of his officers recently. Both were killed with a pistol stolen during a vehicle burglary.

Sorry for the sermon.

If you do try the Federal loads, make sure you pattern them at varying distances. EVERY shotgun is unique, as I am sure you know.

Feedback Score
    Thanks and I understand. Here in Michigan we have a strange thing known as a "Michigan pistol? With a short barrel and less than 26" and you can carry it with your CPL. I have a SBR that also does this role...though it is not something I leave in the vehicle.

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, Hickok45 had trouble stabilizing slugs out of a 14 inch barrel Vepr...