Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is the M1 Garand, 1903 still in active use?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

is the M1 Garand, 1903 still in active use?

Our Military uses the 1903 Springfield, M14 and M1 Garand almost exclusively at National ceremonies, parades, funerals, color guard etc. Are these guns "left overs" or does our military still contract these rifles? They are in almost perfect shape. What is the reason for using these rifles instead of using modern rifles or heritage colonial muskets?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The M14s are no longer produced* and are left overs. Just put the NSN in GCSS-MC and it shows up a few weeks later.

The rifles are being used as ceremonial pieces because of their availability. Most of the active military units use the M14, while JROTC type guys play around with demilled 1903s. It has little to do with selecting those specific rifles and everything to do with availability. Additionally, the M14 is technically still in service both ceremonially and in combat. Many funeral ceremonies are conducted with M16A2s and A4s.

*AFAIK the M25 uses repurposed M14 receivers and is not built new from the ground up.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    I believe the reason you see the older "wood and steel" rifles in ceremonial units (like the Old Guard or the USMC drill team) is that they look more ceremonial (if you will) than the Black Rifle. They play the part better looks-wise.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I believe the reason you see the older "wood and steel" rifles in ceremonial units (like the Old Guard or the USMC drill team) is that they look more ceremonial (if you will) than the Black Rifle. They play the part better looks-wise.
    Not only do they look better they drill better, wood stocks and leather slings, slapping the forearm and slamming the butt of an M16 on the ground will leave you....unfulfilled. The old rifles just put on a better show. And none of these are in current production for .gov, all old stock items.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-24-16 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've seen Marines equipped with the M-16 at gravesite services, but nothing compares to seeing a group perform with rifles made of iron and wood at a funeral ceremony honoring a fallen warrior.

A current issue weapon may be suitable for Troops deployed to an active area, but for ceremonial purposes a modern issue rifle does not compare with iron and wood.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Not only do they look better they drill better,
    My father was in ROTC in college and was on their rifle drill team.

I can't imagine seeing drill teams throwing around a rifle with a pistol grip and a protruding magazine.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A current issue weapon may be suitable for Troops deployed to an active area, but for ceremonial purposes a modern issue rifle does not compare with iron and wood.
    Agreed.

I'd like to caveat my earlier post that I was saying that's why we use the M14 and 1903 vs. the Krag and other pre-1900 firearms. I was not saying they use the M14 instead of the M16 because they have them lying around.

With that said, the Brits do a pretty good job with a bullpup. (5:05 mark)

Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-25-16 at 06:19.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    USMA M-14s are demilled. Cadet issue M4s and A2s are not.

Current garrison accountability rules typically make it highly advantageous for ceremonial drill rifles to be demills, especially if they travel. Think 7x24 guard if they are not in an approved weapon storage.

Even the demills have pretty strong accountability policies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    USMA M-14s are demilled. Cadet issue M4s and A2s are not.

Current garrison accountability rules typically make it highly advantageous for ceremonial drill rifles to be demills, especially if they travel. Think 7x24 guard if they are not in an approved weapon storage.

Even the demills have pretty strong accountability policies.
    Hell I'd love to have a demilled drill M-14 if for no other reason than parts cannibalizing!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Hell I'd love to have a demilled drill M-14 if for no other reason than parts cannibalizing!
    The M1s we had were pretty effectively demilled - the whole barrel had metal poured down it, which ran into the trigger / FC area, stocks were pretty beat up over years of use. Not sure what you'd get off it worth using. Maybe the M14s are different, but I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast