Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Sons of Liberty Gun Works?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGW View Post
    We will be offering hammer forged barrels as options this coming year
    Using your alls BCG in my previous build. Defitinitely going to pick up another along with a HF barreled upper!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Confused

Did me stating my opinion as customer for my dislike of nitrided barrels some how offend you in some way?

Do you really want to go down this road?
    Not offended at all dude.
    If we're being honest, I thought it was a bit of a snarky way to open a convo, and I responded in kind...But I did so with a smile. So, no big deal.

As for the barrels... I believe every rifle begins its life as a barrel and we build the rest of the rifle to support that barrel. That's why we preach gas port sizing, true chambers, appropriate material for the task, dimpling/pinning etc... if I thought those barrels sucked we wouldn't use them.
    I think a lot of the debate between a properly made QPQ barrel vs CL CHF is academic.
    I think it's a reasonable argument that a well made CL CHF barrel will probably have a longer service life if all other things are equal. By how much, I don't honestly know. And I'd be skeptical of anyone who claims they did.
    5% longer? 10%? What?
    I can tell you from experience, and sample sizes of a few thousand, that those barrels do very very well. Under heat, heavy firing schedules, time, ammo types, environments etc...
    We see the results in side by side testing. Plenty of independent tests have been done as well. Getting them super hot then shooting for group and measuring group size.. We've given these guns and barrels away to a lot of people with the purpose of shooting them very hard, documenting round count, documenting velocity changes, documenting group size. If the data showed us that these barrels were not performing under hard use I would change them. I sincerely do look at real unbiased data in how we build these guns.
    We're also not shy about our overall performance claims and how our rifles stack up to the competition in the niche of serious work rifles. We do this knowing there will be plenty of public scrutiny.

I also offer to replace any barrel that anybody ever shoots out. Think about that.
    That in and of itself should give the end user some level of confidence in the product.

If you're the kind of shooter who will shoot out a well made QPQ barrel, you're the same shooter who will shoot out any barrel. Period.

We are going to offer CL CHF barrels this year. Not because I see some wild performance benefit...But because I know there are customers who can't bring themselves to use a QPQ barrel regardless of what the actual data shows us.
    It's the same reason we offer pinning gas blocks. A properly mounted gas block in a properly dimpled barrel using the correct thread agent and knurled set screws will not walk...But some people must have a pinned block. Cool. Let's do it.

I'm guilty of it, too. I still have backup iron sights on all my rifles even though the data shows that failures in top quality optics are very rare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not offended at all dude.
    If we're being honest, I thought it was a bit of a snarky way to open a convo, and I responded in kind...But I did so with a smile. So, no big deal.

As for the barrels... I believe every rifle begins its life as a barrel and we build the rest of the rifle to support that barrel. That's why we preach gas port sizing, true chambers, appropriate material for the task, dimpling/pinning etc... if I thought those barrels sucked we wouldn't use them.
    I think a lot of the debate between a properly made QPQ barrel vs CL CHF is academic.
    I think it's a reasonable argument that a well made CL CHF barrel will probably have a longer service life if all other things are equal. By how much, I don't honestly know. And I'd be skeptical of anyone who claims they did.
    5% longer? 10%? What?
    I can tell you from experience, and sample sizes of a few thousand, that those barrels do very very well. Under heat, heavy firing schedules, time, ammo types, environments etc...
    We see the results in side by side testing. Plenty of independent tests have been done as well. Getting them super hot then shooting for group and measuring group size.. We've given these guns and barrels away to a lot of people with the purpose of shooting them very hard, documenting round count, documenting velocity changes, documenting group size. If the data showed us that these barrels were not performing under hard use I would change them. I sincerely do look at real unbiased data in how we build these guns.
    We're also not shy about our overall performance claims and how our rifles stack up to the competition in the niche of serious work rifles. We do this knowing there will be plenty of public scrutiny.

I also offer to replace any barrel that anybody ever shoots out. Think about that.
    That in and of itself should give the end user some level of confidence in the product.

If you're the kind of shooter who will shoot out a well made QPQ barrel, you're the same shooter who will shoot out any barrel. Period.

We are going to offer CL CHF barrels this year. Not because I see some wild performance benefit...But because I know there are customers who can't bring themselves to use a QPQ barrel regardless of what the actual data shows us.
    It's the same reason we offer pinning gas blocks. A properly mounted gas block in a properly dimpled barrel using the correct thread agent and knurled set screws will not walk...But some people must have a pinned block. Cool. Let's do it.

I'm guilty of it, too. I still have backup iron sights on all my rifles even though the data shows that failures in top quality optics are very rare.

I meant no offense either, I have nothing against your barrels and I know your specs are solid, Ive seen the speadsheet on your gas port sizes and they're on point. And Im not doubting your data regarding barrel life.

FYI, my carbine gas barrels built in circa 2010 era are starting to give up the ghost and I cant tell you how much of PAIN it this trying to find proper gas port CHF 14.5" midlength barrels in a reasonable profile.

I also build my rifle around the barrel, which is why I go to great lengths to get a good one. The lengths I went to acquire a 14.5" Hodge were as follows, asked to be put on "the list" at ODS for barrels and at the last minute they decided to only sells barrels as a "package deal" with a receiver set. So to ENSURE I actually got a barrel next time around I had to pre-order at both WO and OPtac so if either one screwed me over like ODS did I would still get a barrel, both WO and OP being the stand-up businesses they are, did not screw me over so I ended up with 2 barrels. And to free up funds for a Wedgelock that may appear at any time I had to sell of one of barrels, by no means do I buy rare stuff just to flip them.

Having another source of properly ported, taper profile barrels would be great. Here's my reasoning for CL CHF over QPQ. I like 14.5" barrels which means I have to pin a muzzle device. If that muzzle device is a $130 warcomp ANY theoretical increase in barrel life is worth it to me.

Again, nothing against QPQ, if done right it produces a great barrel. I just personally prefer CL CHF for my uses. My previous post was to highlight that a market still exists for properly ported and profiled CL barrels, I did not intend to sound like a dick.

Hell I even made a thread about one of your barrels cause it checked all the marks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...unicorn-barrel
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-11-18 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I meant no offense either, I have nothing against your barrels and I know your specs are solid, Ive seen the speadsheet on your gas port sizes and they're on point. And Im not doubting your data regarding barrel life.

FYI, my carbine gas barrels built in circa 2010 era are starting to give up the ghost and I cant tell you how much of PAIN it this trying to find proper gas port CHF 14.5" midlength barrels in a reasonable profile.

I also build my rifle around the barrel, which is why I go to great lengths to get a good one. The lengths I went to acquire a 14.5" Hodge were as follows, asked to be put on "the list" at ODS for barrels and at the last minute they decided to only sells barrels as a "package deal" with a receiver set. So to ENSURE I actually got a barrel next time around I had to pre-order at both WO and OPtac so if either one screwed me over like ODS did I would still get a barrel, both WO and OP being the stand-up businesses they are, did not screw me over so I ended up with 2 barrels. And to free up funds for a Wedgelock that may appear at any time I had to sell of one of barrels, by no means do I buy rare stuff just to flip them.

Having another source of properly ported, taper profile barrels would be great. Here's my reasoning for CL CHF over QPQ. I like 14.5" barrels which means I have to pin a muzzle device. If that muzzle device is a $130 warcomp ANY theoretical increase in barrel life is worth it to me.

Again, nothing against QPQ, if done right it produces a great barrel. I just personally prefer CL CHF for my uses. My previous post was to highlight that a market still exists for properly ported and profiled CL barrels, I did not intend to sound like a dick.

Hell I even made a thread about one of your barrels cause it checked all the marks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...unicorn-barrel
    Totally understood.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What's the scoop on the wedge lock rails?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    What's the scoop on the wedge lock rails?
    They'll be live in the next few days. We'll be doing 6061 and 7075.
    7075 won't be available until April.
    All of these rails will ship with steel MLOK QD sling points.
    16.75", 15", 13", 10.5", 9.5", 8"

We're pricing them very competitively.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They'll be live in the next few days. We'll be doing 6061 and 7075.
    7075 won't be available until April.
    All of these rails will ship with steel MLOK QD sling points.
    16.75", 15", 13", 10.5", 9.5", 8"

We're pricing them very competitively.

That's good to hear! Any chance you could just "build in" a couple QD mounts per side instead? One in the front, one in the back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That's good to hear! Any chance you could just "build in" a couple QD mounts per side instead? One in the front, one in the back.
    No. Not in steel at least.

Feedback Score
    Duffy-
    "Look for Forward Controls Design and SOLGW collaborations in 2019"

Just checked out your site, some awesome products you have there!
    Last edited by bluesjuke; 12-16-18 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Website has been down for 3 days for me. Everything okay over in San Antonio?

Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast