Thread: Short buffer tubes

Feedback Score

Short buffer tubes

So I was gifted a 7 inch AR upper complete. Was not going to put a brace on it to make compliance easier. I don't want to worry about regulations. I just want to push it out against the sling and shoot the damn thing at close range at bottles and cans. Now I'm told that trigger position along length of gun can make it non-compliant and a 7-in buffer tube would break said regulations. I see Wing tactical and MCS have short buffer tubes. Do these things work? I'm not spending $350 on a bolt to put in it...... I had a lot of parts laying around, and including the stripped lower will have maybe $160 in it.....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Now I'm told that trigger position along length of gun can make it non-compliant and a 7-in buffer tube would break said regulations.
    By who?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    A youngster who's way into guns (has pistols/sbrs and is about to acquire full auto) told me the other day that foam around buffer tube could be considered non-compliant depending on the day. A guy at the range told me about trigger position today. Don't know how good is their clue. That's why I'm asking here....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The "Pistol Brace Rule" is currently enjoined, is it not?

If for whatever reason you're trying to comply with that anyway you should be aware that it is written in such a way that at their discretion they can declare anything they want as illegal, even if you try to jump through all their hoops. They will merely "consider" your hoop-jumping with no assurance whatsoever as to the final determination.

If for whatever reason you still want to try to jump through those hoops, then I suppose your youngster may be referring to this passage:

(5) Final Rule: Necessary for the cycle
    of operations of the firearm.
    The rule provides that ATF may also
    consider whether the surface area that
    allows the weapon to be fired from the
    shoulder is created by a buffer tube,
    receiver extension, component, or other
    rearward attachment that is necessary
    for the cycle of operations (i.e., to expel
    a projectile by the action of an
    explosive). This consideration is drawn
    from the NPRM and the proposed
    Worksheet 4999, which assessed two
    points for ‘‘Extended AR-type Pistol
    Buffer Tube,’’ ‘‘Inclusion of Folding
    Adapter extending length of pull,’’ and
    ‘‘Use of ‘Spacers’ to extend length of
    pull.’’ Id. at 30831. These extensions
    provide additional material to the
    firearm that is not required for the cycle
    of operations and, therefore, can be an
    indicator the firearm is designed, made,
    and intended to be fired from the
    shoulder. In contrast, material on a
    firearm that extends the rear surface
    area of the firearm toward the shooter
    but is required for the cycle of
    operations, such as an AR-type pistol
    with a standard 6 to 6–1⁄2 inch buffer
    tube, may be an indicator that the
    firearm is not be designed, made, and
    intended to be fired from the shoulder.
    There is no such thing as "a standard 6 to 6–1⁄2 inch buffer tube" so this is more nonsense and error to be used to your determent. A standard carbine receiver extension when installed does happen to measure 6.25" from the top of the castle nut to the end, so maybe that's where they found this arbitrary number?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doesn't sound correct from a federal level, but it could be some crazy local thing (doubtful but possible).
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Verbage/apparent attempt at logic is worse than I thought. Sounds like they are most worried about length, so maybe, just maybe, the foam won't make me an outlaw, unless they just want me to be (just trying to minimize dinging sounds and scratches/dents).....

Neatest thing is that, after considerable effort, I only had pushed an inch plus of foam over the tube. I googlied what to "lubricate" with and, after digging through baking powder and rem oil suggestions, found that bike/motorclcle guys used compressed air to install grips and foam tubing. I pinched the foam around an air nozzle and it took about 15 seconds to complete the task......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    I pinched the foam around an air nozzle and it took about 15 seconds to complete the task......

If you don't want it to slip around, use hairspray. The hairspray acts like a lube to slide it in place, but once it dries it isn't going to move at all.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)