Thread: Wolf Pack “surplus kill.” of 19 Elk in Wyo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wolf Pack “surplus kill.” of 19 Elk in Wyo

Dang, I have never head or read about such a large "surplus kill" and of course the pack is protected. Hopefully the locals will take care of this, how friggin sad.

Online news outlet County 10 reported the wolves killed 17 elk calves and two adult cows at a feedground near the tiny town of Bondurant, the station reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/25...l?intcmp=hpbt4

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I'm glad the wolves are back. Their surplus kills are nothing compared to the Dept of Forestry flying Hueys over Elk Herds mowing down as many as they could in the 1970s to control the population.

Why is this news?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why is this news?
    Well, this is a rather rare event in natural predator/prey incidents. If this wolf pack has developed some form of "blood lust", and the animals are frequently caught in a vulnerable situation, then it defiantly could impact the elk population.

Also, like it or not, wolves are competing with people for the elk resource. No doubt, wolf packs are limiting some elk herds in the West and hunters are suffering from lower elk numbers. Some people argue that humans are not entitled to compete with wild predators for the resource. I say bullshit to that. Throughout history, humans have protected "their" food sources from raiding by other animals. We have just as much right to do that as predators have to try and take their share.

Problem is, today's methods used to control predators could eliminate them completely if conducted unchecked. We need a balance. I like wolves. But, I also like elk, particularly "medium rare".

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm glad the wolves are back. Their surplus kills are nothing compared to the Dept of Forestry flying Hueys over Elk Herds mowing down as many as they could in the 1970s to control the population.

Why is this news?
    I agree. I live in the hub of the "smoke a pack a day" fudds that are only out for killing things and don't give a flying f*ck about conservation.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Saw this as well.

They wound up only actually eating the two unborn calves, most of this was just a sport kill for them, or something.

I have to agree with Platoon, we need checks and balances.

I also have to agree with Euro that it's a bit-o-irony.