Thread: Ultimaks, Aimpoints, and you.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ultimaks, Aimpoints, and you.

Spawning from some PM's with RWH24, I took a couple of temperatures with a laser thermometer of my Aimpoint H1 with its factory mount, and my Ultimak. I took readings from the thicker "handguard" portion of the Ultimak, and the left side of the Aimpoint in the center of the body. I don't have any way of calibrating or checking the thermometer for accuracy, it's just a hardware store thermometer, but I didn't put too much effort in keeping the ROF the same either, so this isn't at all scientific... just some range time fun.

First readings were ambient, then I did three BSA drills with 10 rounds at 10 yards. So, 10 shots, take a second to check my time, then again, for all 30 rounds in the magazine. That's about as quick as I ever shoot, and I usually do 5 round drills instead of 10... so I feel it's relevant without being an extreme "shoot as fast as possible" test.

So; readings.

Ambient;
    Aimpoint - 67°
    Ultimak - 67°

Magazine #1
    Aimpoint - 67°
    Ultimak - 112°

Magazine #2
    Aimpoint - 79°
    Ultimak - 156°

Magazine #3
    Aimpoint - 99°
    Ultimak - 200°

I also took readings after 15 minutes just laying on the ground. The Ultimak had cooled to 98°, but the Aimpoint continued to heat for a few minutes, and read 125°, but was on it's way down by that time.

Lessons learned? Well, my main interest has always been whether the optic itself actually gets hotter than Aimpoint's quoted temperature range (140°). It's close. And I wish I had checked every 5 minutes, to see where the optic peaked. But, I would be surprised if the optic surpassed 140° in typical training firing schedules. I was able to remove the dot without gloves no problem. It was hot, but if you've ever poked a steak on the grill, you can manage removing the dot in a critical situation without gloves. Anyway, just a short, unscientific test that I thought might interest some looking into an Ultimak. I have been using them for a couple of years, along with the H1, and I've got no complaints.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 03-26-16 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Interesting information, thanks for posting your findings.

Shooting frequent on a hot summer day in direct sun light might ratchet the heat on up there.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have run H-1 and T-1 for years on Ultimaks with high rates of fire and this is a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ultimaks, Aimpoints, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I have run H-1 and T-1 for years on Ultimaks with high rates of fire and this is a non-issue.
    So have I. Still found have some numbers interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Interesting information, thanks for posting your findings.

Shooting frequent on a hot summer day in direct sun light might ratchet the heat on up there.
    True dat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Uprange41; 03-27-16 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. I just ordered a T-2 and an Ultimak for my AK and had been wondering about issues with heat.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the number values.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I wonder how some of the cheaper less than Aimpoint quality optics would fair to the heat from it.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by delcoduc View Post
    I wonder how some of the cheaper less than Aimpoint quality optics would fair to the heat from it.
    Bushnell TRS-25 runs fine on an Ultimak. I really can't kill the damn thing and I keep trying.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    IIRC, MrGnG has used the TRS-25 and the PA RDS on Ultimaks without issue.
    I appreciate Inebriated for performing the tests and recording them for posting here.

I have the Manticore Alpha lower and upper for my DAK 74. With the H-1 mounted on the 1913 top rail, there is no room for a light mount.
    It is a KMR lower, but too short to project a light forward far enough and NOT in the way of the LS sling mount.
    I could leave the lower and add the Ultimak or TROY 1913 gas tube for more real estate.

I could also try the RS BM-1 accessory mount
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    IIRC, MrGnG has used the TRS-25 and the PA RDS on Ultimaks without issue.
    I appreciate Inebriated for performing the tests and recording them for posting here.

I have the Manticore Alpha lower and upper for my DAK 74. With the H-1 mounted on the 1913 top rail, there is no room for a light mount.
    It is a KMR lower, but too short to project a light forward far enough and NOT in the way of the LS sling mount.
    I could leave the lower and add the Ultimak or TROY 1913 gas tube for more real estate.

I could also try the RS BM-1 accessory mount
    I have an RS BM-2 on an N-PAP, as well as Ultimaks on a couple of Arsenals. No complaints with either one.