Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a SD load.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I agree. I always try to find out what the state or local LEO's use and by the same. In the unlikely event that I have to use my firearms defensively, explaining my choice of ammo will be one less thing I have to worry about.
    That's old school thinking. I remember this logic popping up on TOS from time to time... A good shoot is a good shoot.. period. A bad shoot will only mean that a prosecutor will say "you used LE powered ammo" to do this terrible thing... "and you're not a cop", etc.

Pick the best ammo, and pray you never have a questionable shoot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What do you think about the hornady 75's vs the 77 OTM

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    What do you think about the hornady 75's vs the 77 OTM
    Not sure who you're asking... but the 75 stuff is really good too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So it is conventional wisdom to zero your optic for your SD load as opposed to your range ammo like Wolf Gold or whatever else? Just making sure due to the fact most folks run a heavier grain load for SD versus a 55 gr. FMJ for the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by civiliansheepdog View Post
    So it is conventional wisdom to zero your optic for your SD load as opposed to your range ammo like Wolf Gold or whatever else? Just making sure due to the fact most folks run a heavier grain load for SD versus a 55 gr. FMJ for the range.
    Most people I know have them zero'd for their SD load because if you ever find yourself on the two way range, which is when it counts you're presumably using your SD/Duty ammo.

You could always check where you're hitting with your range ammo after you're zero'd with your SD ammo to confirm POI.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not sure who you're asking... but the 75 stuff is really good too.
    You advocate the 77's a lot. 75's are similar afaik. Is it accuracy or terminal ballistics or both that makes them so good?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    You advocate the 77's a lot. 75's are similar afaik. Is it accuracy or terminal ballistics or both that makes them so good?
    I'm big on the 77s because the Nosler CCs can be bought for a good price in bulk. The 75s hand right in there. And if I got 5k 75s for a great price, I shoot them in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score
    I just used the 64bsb to drop a coyote it went through and through and the shoulders, not much expansion. The 77gr custom comps are a lot more devastating on the coyotes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed. First shot she went down but got back up, took 4 more. The shot placement was decent and should have worked but they didn't

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Killed a white tail doe last fall with 62gr Fusion MSR. Started to slowly walk off after a heart/lung shot and stopped at the tree line so, since it was almost dark, I shot her in the head and she dropped.
    Got over to her, tapped her, and she tried to stand so another shot to the head and she went down and did the all over spasms before lying still. Tapped again, rolled to get her feet under her, 3rd round to head, repeat of spasms, and that was it.

Based on the mess after I was connecting with important stuff, but sometimes things just don't work out well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast