Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me pick a SD load.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Killed a white tail doe last fall with 62gr Fusion MSR. Started to slowly walk off after a heart/lung shot and stopped at the tree line so, since it was almost dark, I shot her in the head and she dropped.
    Got over to her, tapped her, and she tried to stand so another shot to the head and she went down and did the all over spasms before lying still. Tapped again, rolled to get her feet under her, 3rd round to head, repeat of spasms, and that was it.

Based on the mess after I was connecting with important stuff, but sometimes things just don't work out well.
    Hunting experience is extremely variable. I wouldn't make any decisions based on animal reaction from 1 experience. Deer take a 12ga slug through the heart and run 60yds sometimes. It doesn't mean the round didnt perform. Bone can make bullets do wierd stuff as well. There is repeatable scientific testing for a reason.

Feedback Score
    Bullet placement is everything. And I was about 2"high from where I wanted my poi. But passing through as much bone as it did, straight through the shoulder blades up high, the penetration was fine, it was the lack of damage that I was disappointed in. I bet it would make a great deer round, but for a coyote might not be the right bullet. I'll try the tsx out on some and see what the results are there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Bullet placement is everything. And I was about 2"high from where I wanted my poi. But passing through as much bone as it did, straight through the shoulder blades up high, the penetration was fine, it was the lack of damage that I was disappointed in. I bet it would make a great deer round, but for a coyote might not be the right bullet. I'll try the tsx out on some and see what the results are there.

Just curious, why are you evaluating 100 yard shots/grouping for SD ammo? By definition, self defense is when you reasonably expect that your life is under imminent threat. I don't view someone a hundred yards away as an imminent threat. That said, my bedroom ARs are loaded up with bonded soft points; Speer Gold Dots and Federal Fusion MSR. If I was awakened by someone in the house, I think I would reach for the bedside Mossberg 500 with the Federal FliteControl buckshot. I live alone so no real worries about over penetration.
    Last edited by KeithTexas; 04-25-16 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTexas View Post
    Just curious, why are you evaluating 100 yard shots/grouping for SD ammo? By definition, self defense is when you reasonably expect that your life is under imminent threat. I don't view someone a hundred yards away as an imminent threat. That said, my bedroom ARs are loaded up with bonded soft points; Speer Gold Dots and Federal Fusion MSR. If I was awakened by someone in the house, I think I would reach for the bedside Mossberg 500 with the Federal FliteControl buckshot. I live alone so no real worries about over penetration.
    I did it at 100yds because my ar pretty much lives in my company pickup. And the bullets do double duty of self defense (heaven forbid I ever need to use it) and to shoot whatever else I need to shoot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123