Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP still relevant?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The quick change barrel feature is not one of the reasons I love the MRP but it's still nice to have that feature. It makes cleaning the barrel, in particular the chamber and locking lugs, a lot easier. Return to zero with the same barrel is pretty darn good, but swapping to a different barrel will usually require re-zero of the optic in my experience.

Yes, you could put together a cheap standard upper for a little more than the cost of an MRP barrel straight from LMT. But the resulting assembly won't be nearly the quality you get in the MRP in my opinion. And keep in mind, the MRP barrels are *very* good barrels.

Feedback Score
    I love my MRP CQB. Only downside is weight. If they came out with a slim M-Lok CQB and/or rifle length railed upper, I be all over one of those!
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My brother's local shop outside Boston (believe it or not) had two complete MRP rifles on clearance for $1000 each. He balked at buying one because he would have paid extra to have it modified to be MA compliant. I'm kicking myself for not calling them to see if they would ship one out of state, but money's been a little tight. I've had an LMT lower sitting around for almost 9 years waiting to add an MRP upper to it. I just have never felt ready spending that much for the upper, even though I know it's a top quality piece of gear (but I definitely should have bought the complete rifle!). I still intend to buy one eventually - just need to keep saving up for it. I'm really interested in SBRing one and trying it out as a 300 BLK platform to take advantage of the interchangeable barrels.

Dave

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    So like. Is it too late to call, lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    So like. Is it too late to call, lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea... I'll help out the merchant! I love my MRP. First AR I bought, and I still love to shoot it. Sometime this summer I plan to buy an extra barrel and have it sent off for a re-contour and cut/pinned just to loose some weight; that HBAR is heavy. I wouldn't pay full price for another quad rail, but if they ever offer mlok/km versions I would be all over that. I think the cost to change out the machining would have to be pretty expensive.

I was hoping to see some lightweight barrels at shot, but still only see the .308's have that option.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    If an updated version with M-LOK/Keymod slick upper was released + paired with their new full Ambi MARS-L (?) lower... This would be a very nice package

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Who would want a fixed length, wide, heavy, quad rail rifle with restricted barreling options... all at a premium price?

You can change rails and barrels on an Aero Precision enhanced upper receiver rapidly, too, for a fraction of the cost.

I didn't see the appeal then, and still don't. But then again the 6940 never did a thing for me, either.

Sure, it runs well, just like dozens of other guns on the market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    Who would want a fixed length, wide, heavy, quad rail rifle with restricted barreling options... all at a premium price?

You can change rails and barrels on an Aero Precision enhanced upper receiver rapidly, too, for a fraction of the cost.

I didn't see the appeal then, and still don't. But then again the 6940 never did a thing for me, either.

Sure, it runs well, just like dozens of other guns on the market.
    You've clearly never owned one. They are awesome rifles. If you are into the fad of changing out handguards every season, then sure the MRP is not for you. If you want a killer rifle, that is made by a top tier manufacturer with a unique feature set that is actually innovative, and don't feel the need to swap handguards then it's a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    If an updated version with M-LOK/Keymod slick upper was released + paired with their new full Ambi MARS-L (?) lower... This would be a very nice package
    It would be cool if MLOK and Keymod were available, but certainly not a deal killer.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-01-16 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You've clearly never owned one. They are awesome rifles. If you are into the fad of changing out handguards every season, then sure the MRP is not for you. If you want a killer rifle, that is made by a top tier manufacturer with a unique feature set that is actually innovative, and don't feel the need to swap handguards then it's a great option.

It would be cool if MLOK and Keymod were available, but certainly not a deal killer.
    I don't need to own one to be familiar with it. I've worked for two different LMT dealers, and some of my training buddies have them. I've spent plenty of time shooting and handling them, I've never wanted to buy one as a result of that.

What does a "killer rifle with innovative features" mean to me in the real world? It has nothing to offer me.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, one thing it means is that it is a true monolithic upper, which has advantages. That alone sets it apart from 99% of the rest but I understand that feature doesn't have value to everyone, kind of like the easy barrel swaps.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast