Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Tools & Knowledge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Necessary Tools & Knowledge

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, and yes I've searched the forums for my answer, but to no avail.

At current time, I'm not interested in building a rifle, but things have a habit of changing and though I may never build a rifle, I need to assemble the tools and knowledge to, at the very least, keep my rifles up and running. That being said, I need a recommendation for the following:

1. Armorer's Manual (I would prefer a manual to a CD, but would consider the latter)

2. Basic Tools (Those that will be absolutely necessary for me to accomplish my goal)

3. Intermediate/Advanced Tools (Those that will be needed to eventually build a complete rifle from a stripped lower/scratch)

4. Any additional recommendations or tips you could provide.

Please be specific with your recommendations as to the make/model of tools. I subscribed to the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

TIA.
    Last edited by DireStraits; 03-30-16 at 12:08.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." -Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good manual will show the tools needed to accomplish each step.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    IMO the best thing you could do is attend the Semper Paratus armorer course taught by Iraqgunz if you ever have the chance.

http://www.semperparatusarms.com/home/

Click on the tab about course information and it has a tool list. Even if you don't go to the class, that list of tools will get you off to a good start.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Take a look at the minimum tool list to attend on of IG's classes. http://www.semperparatusarms.com/ar1...e-information/ One of the beauties of the AR platform is you don't need any special tools for basic maintainence. If you decide you want to build an upper from scratch the price to play goes up in a hurry. A good vise and sturdy bench to attach it to will cost you more than the specialty tools needed. If you are like me and worked with wood, metal, cars, motorcycles and boats all of my life the investment is minimal. If you have to start from scratch buying tools it will never pay off to assemble your own uppers.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    IMO the best thing you could do is attend the Semper Paratus armorer course taught by Iraqgunz if you ever have the chance.

http://www.semperparatusarms.com/home/

Click on the tab about course information and it has a tool list. Even if you don't go to the class, that list of tools will get you off to a good start.
    I guess I lost that race! I'll never be picked to play on a typing team!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Get yourself a copy of AR Technical Manual TM 9-1005-319-23 and P

This series will give you a basic idea of how to build and the tools to use: How to Build An AR-15

To be more specific, these are the tools I use:
    MAGPUL - AR-15/M16 ARMORER'S WRENCH

GEISSELE AUTOMATICS LLC - AR-15/M16 REACTION ROD
    GEISSELE AUTOMATICS LLC - AR-15/M4 REACTION BLOCK
    SATURN PRODUCTS - SCG AR-15/M16 ACCU-GRIP BARREL VISE JAWS
    OBSIDIAN ARMS - AR-15 ARMORER'S PUNCH SET - This is the basic punch set I started with, it will get you by until you can pick up full sets listed below.
    STARRETT - #565 PIN PUNCH SET
    BROWNELLS - ROLL PIN HOLDERS
    BROWNELLS - ROLL PIN PUNCHES
    BROWNELLS - BOLT CATCH PIN PUNCH
    BROWNELLS - AR-15 FRONT PIVOT PIN ASSEMBLY/DISASSEMBLY KIT
    BROWNELLS - 1" NYLON/BRASS HAMMER
    A solid mounted vise
    A screwdriver and/or appropriate sized allen wench long enough to reach the grip screw
    A center punch for staking (I ground a pin punch to have a square tip, it makes very clean stake jobs)
    1/2" torque wrench

Tools I still want to get:
    BROWNELLS - AR-15/M16 CARRIER KEY STAKING TOOL
    BROWNELLS - EJECTOR REMOVAL TOOL
    Starrett Precision Steel Pin Gage Set

tips:
    Only use quality components for you builds.
    Most videos out there leave out put molybdenum disulfide grease (33MS) on the threads of receiver/barrel nut and the RE/castle nut per AR Technical Manual TM 9-1005-319-23 and P, I always use it.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 03-31-16 at 02:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I second the recommendation on taking the course from Iraqgunz. You will learn a lot of things there while avoiding learning the wrong things by trial-and-error building on your own.

Then I suggest you "unbuild" your current rifle and rebuild it.

I've built four different rifles and learned a lot by doing so. Each new build was better than the last due to what I learned (and what I picked up by reading lots of build threads). But then I disassembled one of my builds - a complete disassembly, right down to the front sight detent, because of some mods I was doing - and I learned more by that than any one or two builds. Plus, after rebuilding it, I know that everything is dialed in correctly. At this point, the only thing I haven't done is install a barrel extension.

I'm convinced that if you can completely disassemble and then reassemble your rifle, you will not only be able to be your own gunsmith (by and large), but you will learn about your rifle in a way that makes some of the more arcane comments by the experienced guys make more sense.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not sure where you are located in WV, but I am doing a class in Fredericksburg, VA that covers everything you are asking and more. It is a non-brand specific course and you will also receive some reference material at the end.

http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

Quote Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, and yes I've searched the forums for my answer, but to no avail.

At current time, I'm not interested in building a rifle, but things have a habit of changing and though I may never build a rifle, I need to assemble the tools and knowledge to, at the very least, keep my rifles up and running. That being said, I need a recommendation for the following:

1. Armorer's Manual (I would prefer a manual to a CD, but would consider the latter)

2. Basic Tools (Those that will be absolutely necessary for me to accomplish my goal)

3. Intermediate/Advanced Tools (Those that will be needed to eventually build a complete rifle from a stripped lower/scratch)

4. Any additional recommendations or tips you could provide.

Please be specific with your recommendations as to the make/model of tools. I subscribed to the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

TIA.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'm another alumni of IG's armorer course. It is very good at explaining the "how's", and even better at explaining the "why's".

And he's good at covering which tools are a good investment, and which are a waste of money. That's another good return on investment, as the OP mentioned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The course is completely doable. I looked at the locations of the VA & OH classes you will be teaching; printed the basic and advanced tool lists......it would definitely be money well spent.

Thank you for all the replies; great advice given by all.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast