Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on tuning my AK

Feedback Score

Input on tuning my AK

I'm looking for input into tuning my AK to run smoother and allow faster followups. It's in 5.45 but it's got noticeably sharper recoil when compared to my 11.5" AR. I realize some of this is due to the piston, muzzle device, and also the triangle stock. I have a Tapco trigger installed, but I'd love something with a shorter reset, more like the Geissele in my AR. Is swapping out recoil springs a possibility? I'm mostly looking to minimize the rocking back and forth that AKs tend to exhibit in rapid fire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Different muzzle breaks help instead of that flash hider. There are drop in trigger packs available but I've never bothered with them. Red Star Arms makes a good AK trigger. Just an example. ...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...)&groupid=3748

It's sold out but for $285 I'd want to try on before buying

I can only compare my 74s to 16 in barrel ARs and the recoil feels about the same.

I did notice that Bulgarian surplus 5.45 shoots a lot softer than Russian but that limits you to trying to find just the Bulgy ammo. My Vepr 5.45 has the recoil of a stapler but the rifles is heavy for caliber

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 04-02-16 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ALG makes a better trigger than anything you'll find in the $50 price range. Look up their AKT sometime. It has a quick reset and a light pull. There is less slop than any else <$50, but you'll still have some slop with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Different muzzle breaks help instead of that flash hider.
    I agree, however reliability on my gun begins to suffer when I use anything but the 4-piece pictured above or the traditional Krink chambered brake. I've tried a bare muzzle and other brakes and comps, but they don't run 100% due to the backpressure requirements.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm stumped. If you need the added oomph from the Bulgy 4 Peice I can't see how a stiffer recoil spring is gonna help reliability. AK's have a lot of mass in the BCG. You could try the Russian Baby Shoe grenade pad. http://www.russiansurplus.net/produc...-pad-green.htm

I've heard good things about the ALG trigger. CMC Triggers is releasing one too.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd try the stiffer spring; it's all you've got at this point

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I'm stumped. If you need the added oomph from the Bulgy 4 Peice I can't see how a stiffer recoil spring is gonna help reliability. AK's have a lot of mass in the BCG. You could try the Russian Baby Shoe grenade pad. http://www.russiansurplus.net/produc...-pad-green.htm

I've heard good things about the ALG trigger. CMC Triggers is releasing one too.
    The ALG trigger is great, best I have seen but in a few months they are coming out with an enhanced trigger. One of my buddy shot it at SHOT and said it was awesome and as good as any AR trigger. So I would wait.

As far as "looking to minimize the rocking back and forth" is not going to happen. AKs use a large piston system that moves back and forth so the natural movement of the gun is up and down. I just learned to man handle it.

Have you ever taken an AK class? On the east coast LAV does them, on west coast Rifle dynamics does them, as does Haley. Tactical Response also does them. I would recommend taking a class if you can.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You want your AK to fire like an AR? I'm confused.

Feedback Score
    The alg will probably be the best option for a trigger.

Try a new recoil spring. It cant hurt

Make sure the piston has a little play/wiggle.

The ak is not an ar it shoots cycles and runs different.

You may need to get used to it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    I'd try the stiffer spring; it's all you've got at this point
    What is the recommended krink spring weight? I'm wondering if I've just worn it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast