Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 reliability package?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Mossberg 500 reliability package?

What would you put on the workorder for a reliability package on this 20ga Mossberg 500 (catalog #54301)? I know about replacing the plastic safety button with the metal one, but what else for a gun that will spend a lot of time loaded in the corner of a room? Although not reliability per se, it will also get an Elzetta light mount and Mesa Tactical sidesaddle.

Last edited by Bruce in WV; 04-02-16 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From my experience with four Mossberg 500 20 ga hunting shotguns, I say that you don't need to replace any parts. I'm not sure that the 12 ga. metal safety parts will fit the 20 ga. which has a smaller receiver. My advice is to fire it about 200 times, polish the chamber lightly, detail clean it, load, and stick it in the corner. Of course, you need to zero the sights. If you won't be shooting it often, reliability issues should not arise. I know zero about Mossberg's retractable stock, but question how much use it could stand up to.

If you have not yet bought this shotgun, you would save money by buying the regular stock version with 20 inch barrel, and you could still hang stuff off of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep wondering when Mossberg will figure out that pistol grip negates the ability to push the Mossberg safety off as you mount the shotgun. I would not have one of a home defense Mossberg, or any shotgun for that matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    What would you put on the workorder for a reliability package on this 20ga Mossberg 500 (catalog #54301)? I know about replacing the plastic safety button with the metal one, but what else for a gun that will spend a lot of time loaded in the corner of a room? Although not reliability per se, it will also get an Elzetta light mount and Mesa Tactical sidesaddle.

1. Don't get the cheap collapsible stock. It's a POS and it doesn't work with the controls on the Mossberg.

2. Don't let it just sit in the corner all the time. Shoot it often. Also, get a steel gun locker at the least.

3. Mount the light on the fore end instead of the barrel.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I keep wondering when Mossberg will figure out that pistol grip negates the ability to push the Mossberg safety off as you mount the shotgun. I would not have one of a home defense Mossberg, or any shotgun for that matter.
    I'm with you on the PG. Worthless in my opinion. So are the ghost rings and collapsible stock on a bedroom gun. Sidesaddle??? Light... Yes. A purchase order not a work order would be my recommendation. A 50579 would serve your purpose well and save you some money. Throw away the PG that ships with it.
    Last edited by GH41; 04-03-16 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigghoss View Post
    3. Mount the light on the fore end instead of the barrel.
    Why do you prefer fore end versus on the tube?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Why do you prefer fore end versus on the tube?
    That's where your hand goes. If the light is on the fore end with your hand they stay together. If you mount the light on the tube you either have to have it on constantly or find the switch and reacquire the target every time you run the action. Not too mention on the tube usually puts it beyond comfortable reach.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okay, I was wondering if it was switchology.

I use these: http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-s...mbo-mount.html

With me it is an ergonomic, and carry issue, as well as tactics. I prefer the tube/endcap mounts because not all folks have extended mag tubes and these mounts work with either extended tubes or regular.

Ergo - I've got longer arms and I shoot with my support/cycling arm extended - so my hand is at the end of the forearm, thumb indexed forward; so with a forearm mounted light I have to choke up too much.

Carry - outside the home I believe shoulder weapons need two-point slings. With a pump action shotgun, the sling can (does) interfere with a light mounted on the forearm. I prefer QD sling attachments, with the GG&G mount I use a MASH hook.

Tactics - with the GG&G or Streamlight mounts, depending on whether you are running a clicky tailcap on a light, or a WML with a rocker switch, you can use the thumb to activate the light to search and/or shoot. The light stays on when you shoot and assess, you can thumb it off as you move. What I found with both Surefire and other forearm mounting positions was that at night, the light moving back and forth as I cycle creates a shadowing effect, that while it doesn't prevent target ID and acquisition, sure bugs the crap out of me. YMMV

For my JM930 with an extended tube I use the Nordic Components Clamp ( https://nordiccomp.com/categories/12...with-tac-rail/ ) for the light and this GG&G QD front mount ( http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-fr...tachments.html ) on this one I use a Magpul light mount ( https://www.magpul.com/products/rail...-left-or-right )

This is what works for me and my reasoning.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Solid advice. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought a Mossy 500 12 gauge that was a basket case. Broken stock painted some ungodly bad krylon camouflage, but I paid $65.00 for it.
    Rebuilding it was one of those Winter Projects where you get cold bound and there isn't a lot to do, so now I've got about $325.00 in it, but it's as good as it will ever get.
    I would switch the safety out for the metal one, it's not hard to do and I believe the 12 and 20 are interchangeable, at least that's what I remember when I ordered mine.I would also consider going to one of the Shotgun Boards, or the Mosseberg boards and look in to what those guys are doing to theirs.
    I believe I went a little overboard, but I was bored and it was winter, so I polished the heck out of the internals and cycled it about 500 times to slick it all up. I put a new buttstock and forestock on it, new 18 inch barrel and an extended magazine tube on it.
    This is the second time I've done this with different shotguns. These things usually are intended to be worked over to give to relatives, but I usually end up keeping them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast