Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
Pretty enlightening thread.
I would guess there are enough guys right now trying to get in to, about to graduate from or a recent graduate of an EMT school who are or were medics who have some rather lengthy experience fighting in the GWOT.
It would seem to me, (an admitted novice) that it would be a "Buyers Market" as I would think these guys cannot be that hard to find.
If I was young and full of piss and vinegar again it would sound like a heck of a lot of fun.
Not really. Most guys are sick of the BS. Civvy popo pay isn't as good as military pay.
They can make more money in a hospital or going Federal if not contracting work. Plus it seems most guys are, rightfully, making use of the GI Bill

Fire/EMS pays better and doesn't get the hate and dumbshit police do.

A lot of prior service getting into civilian police work aren't exactly Audie Murphy.

No Police Chief is willing to take a pay cut to pay for quality people. Retention is on a downpour. Everybody says it but it really isn't what it used to be.

Used to be, if a guy got out the military; police work could be a good place to go.

Now it's too much of a step down if it isn't Federal.

Myself, I've suffered severe burn out so YMMV. But most guys do a year, realize "naw....this is bullshit", and get something more worthwhile.