Thread: Mossberg 590 magazine tube length

Feedback Score

Mossberg 590 magazine tube length

I have a Mossberg 500 shotgun and I decided I wanted to swap a 590 barrel and magazine tube on it. I bought an 18.5" 590 barrel and a 590 5 shot magazine tube which is supposed to work with the 18.5" barrel. I also bought a +2 mag extension from S&J hardware which is flush with the end of the barrel. When I went to assemble everything it was as if the magazine tube was about 2" too short. I checked to make sure the barrel was fully seated in the receiver and it was. I also held the +2 extension up against the barrel lug and sure enough it was flush with the muzzle. I measured the barrel and it is an 18.5" barrel so the only thing left is that the magazine tube is defective or something. The tube I have is just shy of 13.5" but with the way everything lines up it looks like it needs to be 15.5". Can someone tell me what the proper length is of a 5-shot Mossberg 590 magazine tube so I know I'm barking up the right tree?
    Last edited by bigghoss; 04-05-16 at 17:57.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn't think 500 & 590 barrel and mag parts were interchangeable, but I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    I didn't think 500 & 590 barrel and mag parts were interchangeable, but I could be wrong.
    They are but you need both the barrel and mag tube. 500 barrel doesn't work with 590 mag tube and vice versa but you can put a 590 barrel and mag tube on a 500 (or vice versa). Or at least that's what I've been lead to believe. The barrel slips into the receiver and the bolt locks closed on it and the tube threads in just fine, just that my mag tube is 2" too short and I've checked everything repeatedly to make sure it was in right and that the parts were supposed to be compatible.

I also emailed Mossberg as well as the person I got the mag tube from and am awaiting response.

Feedback Score
    OK, after quite a bit of looking around, I think I have the wrong magazine tube. I think I have a magazine tube for a 14"barreled 590 and that the 18.5" mag tube is supposed to be 14.75" I'm going to try to confirm this but that seems like a pretty solid explanation.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You found the answer the NFA 14" guns have a shorter mag tube, but same capacity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    You found the answer the NFA 14" guns have a shorter mag tube, but same capacity.
    Yeah. The 835 uses the same mag tube as the 590 just a different finish so I'm going to order one of those.

I should have just sold my 500 and bought a 590 but when I took on this project I thought this would be less of a hassle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigghoss View Post
    ...............but when I took on this project I thought this would be less of a hassle.
    Story of my life! Glad you got it worked out, and I learned something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Story of my life! Glad you got it worked out, and I learned something.
    I'll be making a youtube video covering the ordeal as well. Most people go for the 20" 590 barrel with 8 shot tube so they don't run into these issues.

Found an 835 on armslist that's been krylon'd for $200. Very tempted to buy it and clean it up and stick the 590 barrel and +2 extension on that and leave my 500 alone. Along the way I also learned that the 835 is kinda the sporting/hunting version of a 590. Not exactly, but for most intents and purposes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    See the link in the thread above for Havlin Sales. They are nice folks and know Mossbergs, and you'll be talking with the owner.