Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 vs. Glock 43 vs. Glock 42: which do you prefer?

Feedback Score

Glock 26 vs. Glock 43 vs. Glock 42: which do you prefer?

If you own all three, which do you prefer and why?

I'm debating which to make my semi-auto carry piece (I can only afford one).

I see advantages and disadvantages to all three.

* I love the size of the G42....but it's not 9mm and it would force me to stock another caliber.

* I love the fact that the G26 is 9mm and can use G17 mags in an emergency, but I'd almost have to have the Pearce Grip extension to the factory mags to make it comfortable to shoot.

* I love the fact that the G43 is 9mm, but it takes single stack mags and seems redundant compared to the G26 unless you just have to have the slimmer profile.

What say you?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-08-16 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    I carried a G26 as a back up gun when I worked as a LEO, and its my primary carry now that I'm retired. Theres not really a huge size difference between the 3, and extra capacity is always good, heaven forbid you find yourself fighting for your life. Grip extender does make it a tad more comfortable , but its not needed. Switch to some better sights,( I like 10-8's) carry a G19 mag reload, and a light and your pretty covered. Good luck with what you decide.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carry a 26 or 19 when off duty, with 17 spare mag. Wife carried a 43.

For me, the 43 isn't so much more comfortable or concealable over the 26 that I'd prefer it. Like already stated, I like the capability of using full sized mags with the 26.

I was hoping the 43 would be small enough for pocket carry, but I'm still sticking to the LCP380 as a back up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a 26 exclusively with G19 magazines in it.
    I like the capacity and the size, I think the G19 magazines are a nice compromise in round capacity vs size. I put the pinky extender things on all of my magazines, it adds a bit of stability and assists in stripping a magazine during a reload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
    For me, the 43 isn't so much more comfortable or concealable over the 26 that I'd prefer it.
    I found just the opposite. The difference in thickness between the two is minor, but for my body type it makes a BIG difference. I can conceal a G26 about as well as a G19, but the G43 seems to disappear.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    The 42 and 43 are just too big for single stack 9mm/.380. You can't pocket carry them which means you are back to a holster. At that point, the differences between a G26 are not much and I would much rather have 13rnds on 9MM in a gun that is shootable than 7 or so rounds in one that is near unshootable. There are plenty of smaller .380 pocket guns to fill the gap if you need deep concealment or convenience of pocket holsters.

The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets. It provides a full grip similar to a G19 and is as shootable as a full size piece. The G26 is one of the very very best CCW pieces out there.

Fully Stippled Gen 3 G26, Warren sights, Vickers extended mag release and 2+ baseplate make a hell off a little firecracker.
    Last edited by Primus Pilum; 04-08-16 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post
    The 42 and 43 are just too big for single stack 9mm/.380. You can't pocket carry them which means you are back to a holster. At that point, the differences between a G26 are not much and I would much rather have 13rnds on 9MM in a gun that is shootable than 7 or so rounds in one that is near unshootable. There are plenty of smaller .380 pocket guns to fill the gap if you need deep concealment or convenience of pocket holsters.

The G26 with a 2+ base-plate carried in a small of back holster is about as comfortable as it gets.
    One thing I've been trying to do some research on without much luck is how much the +2 floorplates affect reliability.

I'm one to stick to the "zero" floorplates just because I like to have a place to put my pinky, but this brings up the general question: DO THE PEARCE GRIP EXTENSIONS IN ANY CAPACITY AFFECT RELIABILITY?

Also, I have no experience with these. Are they a bitch to install?

Feedback Score
    The G26, either Gen3 or Gen4 is my choice for you. When I'm carrying it, I'll typically have a G17 (17 round) magazine as the spare mag. I'm currently using the Magpul extensions for a fuller grip. More likely, I'll be carrying a G19gen3, G30SF/G30Gen3, or 1911 as a primary off-duty carry. I'm more comfortable with the larger size and handling.

I use my G43 as a backup gun, worn either on my ankle or on my body-armor vest. I do have a pocket holster for it, too, but seldom if ever carry it in the pocket. I find my S&W J-frame draws out of my pockets a bit faster/easier. The G43 has replaced or augments my 5-round S&W J-frame revolver as a backup gun. I have used my G26 as a backup, but I find it just a bit too large when I'm in my cop uniform. My department will issue one if needed for plain-clothes duty as the LEO's main weapon (instead of the usual G17Gen4). I'll wear a G26 if I want the smallest 9mm as a primary handgun, such as when wearing a formal suit & tie (court, wedding, funeral, church, business party).

I didn't buy, but did consider a .380 G42. The size is even smaller than the G43, but the G43 is small enough in size for my purposes and I prefer a larger gun for my main carry weapon. I consider the .380 round to be marginal and expensive for what you get. From numerous reports G42 is still experiencing sensitivity in ammo and Glock has had ~3 quiet design changes to its parts/mags. I just don't recommend it unless the person just has to have a .380 and the smallest Glock.
    Last edited by L-2; 04-08-16 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Being a Glock guy, I really wanted to love the G43. I bought one of the first ones that my LGS got in and planned on it as my EDC. I put roughly 200 rounds through it on the first day, accuracy was decent, and I actually really liked the trigger. The G43 ended up being a pocket, run to the gas station at 2am gun, and not an EDC for me. It is snappier than the shield, and carries less, while only concealing a tad better. I sold it soon after and kept using my Glock 19 as my carry gun. Now I am once again in the market for a small 9mm, and to me at this point the Glock 26 will be what I go with. I have owned one in the past, and should never have sold it. I carried a G17 magazine as backup (something the G43 cannot do) and was always confident with the G26 on pretty much every carry situation. It's not super thin, but still carries well. And the reason I am most likely going to buy another one, is because they make a great ankle gun, which regardless of firearm, is the only way I can really carry at my job.

Touching on the +2 Pearce and other extensions, I have several G17 (19+1) factory mags with the extensions and I have had zero issues in several thousand rounds.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    It's not super thin, but still carries well. And the reason I am most likely going to buy another one, is because they make a great ankle gun, which regardless of firearm, is the only way I can really carry at my job.
    What's your ankle rig?

I've had many problems in the past with pistols "flopping out" of ankle rigs (I do a lot of walking), and I'm skittish about investing in another.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast