Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC for two-legged critters?

Feedback Score

300 AAC for two-legged critters?

Which loads for defense, specifically from a 10.5" barrel? I see the 110gr offerings have the highest velocities but the sectional density and subsequent penetration isn't what you might want. The 125gr loads are probably a move in the right direction, especially if you are hitting 2000fps or so from the 10.5" tube. They have an AK-like sectional density so penetration isn't an issue.

Aren't there bullets specifically designed for the 300 AAC nowadays that perform optimally at the velocities achieved with that caliber? If so, which ones? Prefer 125gr choices but open to other suggestions.

I see Lehigh Defense has a 194gr subsonic that, while expensive ($2.50 per round), opens up pretty well for a sub.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX (aka Black Tip) is the gold standard supersonic 300 blk bullet.

In its factory Barnes VOR-TX load, it exits a 9" barrel at around 2,150 FPS. It's expansion threshold is around 1400 which means that it performs out to about 300 meters. It also does very good against intermediate barriers.

My only criticisms of the load are availability and slightly deeper than optimal penetration.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-17-16 at 11:16.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX (aka Black Tip) is the gold standard supersonic 300 blk bullet.

In its factory Barnes VOR-TX load, it exits a 9" barrel at around 2,150 FPS. It's expansion threshold is around 1400 which means that it performs out to about 300 meters. It also does very good against intermediate barriers.

My only criticisms of the load are availability and slightly deeper than optimal penetration.
    Really? Hmmm.....have to give it a look-see. I just kind of saw the 110gr loads as hot .30 Carbine rounds. Maybe that's not the case.

Is there excessive copper fouling with those like the 5.56mm TSX bullets, or does the lower velocity preclude that?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Most people are getting closer to 20" of penetration in calibrated ballistic gel with the VOR-TX black tips out of a 300blk SBR.

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2...-grain-tac-tx/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nsRUfA1_Alw

I can't speak to the copper fouling as I just got into the 300blk game myself and have less than 500 rounds of Barnes ammo down the pipe.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-17-16 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    There's a 120gr VOR-TX also. I'll see if I can dig for some info on that particular bullet's performance. Yeah, any Googling I've done pretty much confirms your "gold standard" comment.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Of note, there is no subsonic bullet that I'm willing to put my life behind - yet. Most suck when it comes to terminal performance. The Lehigh Defense 194 grain Maximum Expansion looks very promising, and has done well against hogs. I'd like to see some testing behind intermediate barriers before I put my life behind it. Sig Sauer is also reportedly developing subsonic loads that expand reliably.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have to concur with Sensei. The Barnes 110 gr is pretty much the go to round for the 300 blk at the moment. I also wouldn't trust a subsonic load for HD at this time. Lehigh does have some promising rounds, and if I were to go subsonic, it would be with the Maximum Expansion rounds.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Rather than relying on expansion with the subsonics it just seems to me that a base heavy bullet designed to destabilize early and fragment might give better performance. Does that make any sense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Rather than relying on expansion with the subsonics it just seems to me that a base heavy bullet designed to destabilize early and fragment might give better performance. Does that make any sense?
    Your thoughts make sense, but it's the fragmentation that is lacking. Unfortunately, the subsonic loads do not have enough velocity to overcome the bullets structural integrity during yaw. Thus, what you get now are bullets that yaw once, do not fragment, and penetrate 20"+.

I hope that we see more manufacturers showing an interest in this caliber and designing better subsonic bullets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

The 110gr Blacktip is a fantastic round. I've got a small stash, it's my "social rifle", due to its penetration, ability to perform through barriers and it's reliable expansion out to distance.

I do wish they would tune it a bit though, a little less penetration, maybe have it expand slightly more. 15-18" of penetration would be ideal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast