Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I live in urban Texas, not rural Alaska.

But when I read about bear spray as a first line of defense, I think this way:

Let's analogize it to an urban Texas problem: gangstas and thugz. A bear can be all over you in seconds; so can a gang.

Do urban pistol-packers also carry a can of pepper foam with the intention of deploying the foam first, and then, only if that doesn't appear to work, going for the firearm?

Not ones that want to survive! By the time your pepper foam fails, you're out of time and out of options.

Wouldn't it be the same for the Bear?
    If you are anti-gun, and prioritize the life of the bear over that of the person, advocating bear spray makes perfect sense. If you personally doesn’t possess the technical skills or mindset to effectively use a firearm to defend against a bear attack, bear spray also makes perfect sense.

Feedback Score
    Guys I speak from experience. A 10 mm will kill a bear. A 38 special will kill a bear, a 500 smith and Wesson will kill a bear. Killing the bear is not difficult. The trick is to disable them with a spine shot or kill them instantly with a brain shot. They are not hard to kill, they are hard to kill fast so that they don’t have time to kill you before they die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooosie View Post
    Guys I speak from experience. A 10 mm will kill a bear. A 38 special will kill a bear, a 500 smith and Wesson will kill a bear. Killing the bear is not difficult. The trick is to disable them with a spine shot or kill them instantly with a brain shot. They are not hard to kill, they are hard to kill fast so that they don’t have time to kill you before they die

This is what I don't understand. Brownie can come 50 yards closer to you in three seconds. You have one, maybe two chances to hit a brain the size of a tennis ball, and that is an undefined target that's moving irregularly and bouncing up and down. How, other than a miracle, are you going to do this?

And yet, there are many stories of people stopping and killing bears with pistols.

How is that possible?

Feedback Score
    Sometimes it is better to be lucky that good. You don’t have to hit the brain if you are lucky enough to hit the spine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    This is what I don't understand. Brownie can come 50 yards closer to you in three seconds. You have one, maybe two chances to hit a brain the size of a tennis ball, and that is an undefined target that's moving irregularly and bouncing up and down. How, other than a miracle, are you going to do this?

And yet, there are many stories of people stopping and killing bears with pistols.

How is that possible?
    Because bears don’t like getting shot, they don’t like prey that fight back. Most predators don’t.

In somewhat related news: https://www.google.com/amp/s/trib.co...06717.amp.html

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031