Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    Even more important to prevent case ruptures. The factory Glock barrel has really poor case wall support. I have a KKM in mine.
    Good point about the case support.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Actually not true. Hard cast lead does fine its soft swadged bullets like in some factory ammo that causes issues. I have shot hard cast lead in Glock barrels with no issue. This is even more so when you are using hard cast lead bullets with gas checks.
    Pat
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I thought the Accuracy issues had to do with the factory glock barrel not being able to stabilise the heavy bullets vs the aftermarket barrels, not fouling. But I could be wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I would not take a pistol to a gun fight by choice but I still carry one. The example is the same. What you need in a hunting side arm is very different than what you need in a defensive firearm. When you are hunting your gun is generally out in your hands. Your often in a tree stand. You see the animal before he sees you if your good and you can place a better shot. When you are hiking in the woods and get charged you have none of these advantages. You need a firearm you can shoot fast from the holster. You will likely have to make multiple follow up shots. Apples to Oranges.
    Pat
    If you're hiking in the woods in bear country, your best bet is to have a friend along who can't run as fast as you! In all seriousness though, if you offend a bear so badly while you're hiking that it'll charge and try to kill you before you see it coming, you're pretty much screwed no matter what kind of gun you're carrying, you may get several shots off and even mortality wound it, but it won't die until after it's turned you into hamburger. Unless you get a lucky CNS shot and stop it in it's tracks. There are documented cases of brown bears taking multiple shots from magnum rifles, having their hearts and other major organs completely shot out and still mauling the person before dying. Once they get angry and their body releases that adrenaline, there's no stopping them. Good woodsmanship and keeping aware of your surroundings is your best bet in bear country.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I thought the Accuracy issues had to do with the factory glock barrel not being able to stabilise the heavy bullets vs the aftermarket barrels, not fouling. But I could be wrong.
    It deals with poligonal rifling not being able to get a grip on soft lead bullets which causes accuracy and fouling issues. These issues are not present with hard cast bullets.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    If you're hiking in the woods in bear country, your best bet is to have a friend along who can't run as fast as you! In all seriousness though, if you offend a bear so badly while you're hiking that it'll charge and try to kill you before you see it coming, you're pretty much screwed no matter what kind of gun you're carrying, you may get several shots off and even mortality wound it, but it won't die until after it's turned you into hamburger. Unless you get a lucky CNS shot and stop it in it's tracks. There are documented cases of brown bears taking multiple shots from magnum rifles, having their hearts and other major organs completely shot out and still mauling the person before dying. Once they get angry and their body releases that adrenaline, there's no stopping them. Good woodsmanship and keeping aware of your surroundings is your best bet in bear country.
    I have been been charged before. I don't think you understand just how fast these animals move nor how stealthy they can be. Also all it takes to offend a bear is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Such as getting to near kill they have made or coming between a sow and her cubs. Agreed though if a brown bear charges you and all you have is a pistol you had better have luck on your side. No pistol is a good choice for bear defense. But life is full of compromises.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-09-16 at 14:18.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    How much would you guys pay (or, how much would a normal person pay if you're a stingy bastard) for a cherry condition low round count Gen 3 G20 with 5 mags and 500 rounds of ammo (both range and self defense)?

ETA: I'm asking for me; trying to buy/trade to get one from a buddy. Not trying to sell.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    There will be plenty of 10 mm for sale left by those guys who shoot bears with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    How much would you guys pay (or, how much would a normal person pay if you're a stingy bastard) for a cherry condition low round count Gen 3 G20 with 5 mags and 500 rounds of ammo (both range and self defense)?

ETA: I'm asking for me; trying to buy/trade to get one from a buddy. Not trying to sell.

Used G20 Glocks go for 450 at my LGS., plus 45-60 dollars for the extra 3 magazines, and 200+ for the ammo.

I think anything under 600 is a good buy.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooosie View Post
    There will be plenty of 10 mm for sale left by those guys who shoot bears with them

This made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    Used G20 Glocks go for 450 at my LGS., plus 45-60 dollars for the extra 3 magazines, and 200+ for the ammo.

I think anything under 600 is a good buy.
    Thanks!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooosie View Post

The reality is there are a lot more only shot 3 times big bore revolvers for sale after people bought them for bear defense but found the revolver bit harder than the bear. Lol
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast