Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

Feedback Score
    You obviously haven't been up close and personal with a bear! I agree a lot of big bore revolvers have been shot and then sold because of the discomfort of shooting them at the range. If a bear was charging you in the 3 or 4 seconds you have to see the target pull your gun aim and shoot you would never feel the recoil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooosie View Post
    You obviously haven't been up close and personal with a bear! I agree a lot of big bore revolvers have been shot and then sold because of the discomfort of shooting them at the range. If a bear was charging you in the 3 or 4 seconds you have to see the target pull your gun aim and shoot you would never feel the recoil!

He literally said "I have been charged" in the post directly above yours.

Feedback Score
    He must have used invisible ink because it is not above my post

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

I have been up close and personal. I have been charged twice and killed 5. That said the statement about not feeling recoil when a bear charges is true. However you won't be able to shoot as quickly and you won't be as likely to train to get to a level of acceptable proficiency. Just having a gun on you does not mean you can use it competently. The reasons their are a lot of seldom fired big bore revolvers is people sell them after they experience them. I am not saying big bite revolvers are not a viable solution. I will say if that is the route you take make sure you take the time to get good with them. That means more than just shooting accurately under no stress. Shoot drills from the holster. Record your times push to improve. Make that gun an extension of you.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-11-16 at 21:35.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Loaded for Bear - Is 10mm Sufficient?

He must have used invisible ink because it is not above my post

It's best to read the whole thread before responding with ASSumptions about them simply because you don't agree with another poster. I work and live in bear country.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-11-16 at 21:29.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    It's best to read the whole thread before responding with ASSumptions about them simply because you don't agree with another poster. I work and live in bear country.
    This. Too many assumptions and disrespect in this forum lately.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    This. Too many assumptions and disrespect in this forum lately.
    We all sometimes get heavily invested in our choices its almost like arguing about politics or religion.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No bears where I live. I do however rely on a Glock 20 gen 4 loaded with Underwood 180gr bonded Gold Dot ammo. It serves my needs just fine when bumming around in the desert. I do take it with me when we go camping. There are bear warning signs posted all over the campgrounds.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You may want to switch to a FMJ bullet in my friends tests the 180 grain Khios would not penetrate a bear skull while the FMJs will that was with a 40 cal. But the added velocity from the 10 will actually decrease penetration with a JHP round

USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Alaskapopo, sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. Here in Southern NV, my biggest concern in the desert is scumbag people. Hence the XTP JHP's. Whenever we go somewhere with a concern of wild animals, I do switch out to mags loaded with FMJ. This has actually been a very informative thread for me. Took me awhile to read all of it. Thanks for the info.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast