Thread: How many rounds until you are confident in YOURSELF?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

How many rounds until you are confident in YOURSELF?

Fairly recently, there was discussion regarding the minimum round count before somebody felt confident enough with their new handgun to start carrying it. This topic comes up from time-to-time, but I've noticed the discussion typically centers around a minimum performance standard of a handgun's mechanical reliability. Like many who participated in that discussion, I also have my own routine before deeming a handgun suitable to carry. Then I started thinking, "Hey, it's great that I vet my handguns with practice and SD ammo to make sure the gun runs without malfunction for X number of rounds, but what the hell do I do to actually vet my shooting skills with that specific handgun before putting it in my waistband and trusting it with my life?"

So I'll be the first to confess, this made me realize that there is a serious gap in my training, specifically, when it comes to new handguns that I purchase with the intent to carry for self-defense. Sure, I go to the range, run drills, practice reloads, dry fire, etc., and usually I walk away thinking "ya I can still shoot", but now I'm realizing that just isn't enough. Not for me. Aside from shooting to reach some arbitrary round count number that I've set for myself (and my new handgun) I believe that I need to create a standard for myself, set goals, get on a shot timer more, document my performance, and hold myself accountable for each and every handgun that I carry or intend to carry. As of now, I have the most trigger time on Glock 19s so it tends to get carried the most. However, I also carry a P229 and Glock 43 on occasion. Even though the P229 and Glock 43 have passed my mechanical reliability standard...I can sure-as-shit guarantee you that I couldn't shoot those guns nearly as well as my Glock 19 in objective measurable terms.

So, I pose the question to you: when you buy a new handgun intended for EDC and self-defense do you have certain drills that you run to assess your proficiency with that new handgun? If so, what drills? Bill Drill, The "Test", FASTest, El Presidente, the Hackathorn Standards? What minimum standards have you placed on yourself before considering yourself good-to-go with your new pistol? Once satisfied with your shooting proficiency, how often will you retest yourself? If you, for whatever reason (e.g., can't overcome reloading issues, trigger feel, grip angle, yada yada yada), cannot shoot to your defined standard do you still carry that handgun? Or does it get cut from the rotation or sold off?

Feedback Score
    I've only switched guns once, but I was confident with it after a couple range sessions, and a lot of handling/dry fire. I think round count is irrelevant.

My current personal standards are that I can shoot a headshot on demand at 25yds, and fast test under 7sec, and a 2 sec draw from concealment with a hit on 3x5 at 7yds.

None are "impressive", but I think that performance is acceptable for defensive use. I allow less performance for subcompact as they are a rare carry piece for me, and a last resort. I'd like to get there but will take time.

With the above in mind, I think it's just as important to realize your limitations with what you have. I would never attempt a headshot at 25 with my shield at this point.

For a daily carry, if I couldn't achieve what I want after significant practice, I'd buy a different gun.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-21-16 at 06:51.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I use my EDC and gear in local IDPA style matches to get a comfort level with it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I vetted my G19 last year. Bought it 2 weeks prior to taking a D3 Handgun Vehicle Darkness class from Haley Strategic. Ran it for the whole class. Set the curve for the class with a 98 out of 100 during the CET portion of the first day.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.