Thread: Pelican Foam Cutting

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Pelican Foam Cutting

Can anyone tell me what tips or tricks they have used or are aware of to cut the foam in their Pelican cases so it looks professional? Is there a certain tool or technique that the factory uses? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Can anyone tell me what tips or tricks they have used or are aware of to cut the foam in their Pelican cases so it looks professional? Is there a certain tool or technique that the factory uses? Thanks.
    Many years ago when I had an HK-91 with all the factory accessories...
    Sorry, I wish I still had that rifle.

An electric carving knife worked really well in combination with white chalk for tracing the "inserts".
    All the cuts were really clean too.

Maybe an uber-sharp bread/carving knife in lieu of the electric version?

~tp

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I read a big thread on TOS a while back on this subject. There's some good info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=290776

Feedback Score
    We do a lot of similar work on pelicans. Google yourself a Hot Knife. That is what makes clean cuts in the hard foam.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It looks as if the "hot knife" may be the way to go. I think I'll check into getting one oand seeing what happens. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I didn't have the hot knife option available to me when I prepared my cases, so instead, I used the chalk outline method, followed by the following ...

... most hardware/building/craft stores sell those retractable utility knives with the long, thin razor blade insert. These blades are segmented, so you can just snap off sections about 1/4" at a time as they get dull. I didn't snap anything off, but instead extended the full length of the blade out of the handle, which effectively gave me a razor sharp cutting instrument that was slightly longer than the thickness of the foam to be cut.

Holding thie blade perfectly perpendicular to the cutting surface, I just took my time and carved just inside of the line. I'm about a 9.0 to 9.5 on the ARS (anal retentive scale), and was still pleased with the results, so as a field expedient means of getting the job done, I think you might find this a viable alternative; especially if you've no practical access to a hot knife.

In some respects, this wouldn't seem to be any different from just using a long kitchen knife, but the reality is that the extreme sharpness of the utility blade delivers a much cleaner result. (Every time I've tried to use a kitchen knife, I've been pretty underwhelmed with the results.)

Chief
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used an electric carving knife. I wanted it to fit both rifles, so it's got a little play with each.

FWIW, this was more of an experiment in boredom than anything else. I'm not convinced of th utility of cutting the foam to fit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Its not a pelican case,but............................

Its a Bulldog Hard/Soft discreet case along the same lines with the foam. In
    what would be considered a field expedient procedure, I outlined the weapon
    with an X-acto knife (extra blades handy). I then used a Schrade extreme
    folding knife and lots of patience to cut away the foam.
    Last edited by vigilant2; 12-17-09 at 15:57.