Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gently" Used G17 Gen 2 Score (in more ways than one...)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Gently" Used G17 Gen 2 Score (in more ways than one...)

Well, after the recent thread dissuading me from picking up a heavily used USP40, I tried convincing myself that I was set as far as handguns go.

Tried.

Then, after reading a *ahem* discussion on VP9s possibly being less than reliable after being filled with wet concrete and having the snot beat out of them, I began to think about what was quintessentially the most reliable autoloader out there, and (aside from the Mk23 SOCOM) one brand and model kept popping up - the venerable Glock 17, but more specifically the second generation. I thought about the 19, the 22, and the 23, but often I'd heard about unsupported chamber issues in the .40 series, and the 19 has never felt all that great to me. Lo and behold, a shop happened to have a well-loved 17 in stock... but how well?

I figured I'd take a look. After all, they had a few other interesting pieces there, too, including (of all things) a PIAT. I wandered it, glanced around, held a couple of things, and finally made it to the 17. Well-loved was a little bit of an understatement: this was a tool, plain and simple. The texturing on the sides and checkering on the front and back straps was rounded, almost smooth; slide wear was uniform for any normal, high-round-count Glock, and the night sights - which were not factory - had died. There was a sort of "gumminess" to it, and above all there was deep scoring in the frame. But not deep enough to be considered a structural concern.

(Actual image)

$350 and signing of adoption papers led me to discover it also has three magazines (one a Gen 4), original tupperware case, and yet another rear night sight (alas, also dead). Upon arriving home, I detail stripped it, gave it a solid deep cleaning with M-Pro 7 and relubed with TW-25B, and it's now the smoothest-operating 17 I've ever handled. A full set of new springs is on the list, but internal wear is negligible, and the trigger is smoother but slightly heavier than my VP9. Been reading up on suggested upgrades, and I think it could also do with a Vickers Extended Mag Release and Vickers Slide Release, but as it is, I think I came out ahead in the deal. The character marks on it are actually growing on me, as all I can really do it add to them as time goes on. It's too late to head to the range tonight, but a trip is definitely planned for tomorrow.

As far as extractors/small parts/etc. go that might seriously need replacing, where should I start? I don't want to replace the frame, as it feels boatloads better than the Gen 3 I had a couple years ago, but I've also heard about issues from ~1991 that Glock has "corrected for minimal charge" that I know I can do myself.

Edited to add: The serial number is "LR03(X)" on the barrel and slide, but "LR03(X) US" on the frame. About what year is this? And what does the "US" suffix mean?
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 04-23-16 at 19:30.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Edited to add: The serial number is "LR03(X)" on the barrel and slide, but "LR03(X) US" on the frame. About what year is this? And what does the "US" suffix mean?
    Glocktalk has a serial number database with a lot of prefixes. LR is not listed, but it does have LN and LS listed as February/March 1990.

The "US" postscript indicated guns were headed for the United States market vs. Europe/other markets (which had the Austrian proof marks stamped on the frame/slide). I believe that the US serial numbers ended after the sunset of the AWB in 2004, but I might be mistaken.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    stakhaus.com is a good place to look up serial numbers, although it doesn't have a date for an LR one. Call Glock directly and they can tell you when it was imported into the U.S.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    Glocktalk has a serial number database with a lot of prefixes. LR is not listed, but it does have LN and LS listed as February/March 1990.

The "US" postscript indicated guns were headed for the United States market vs. Europe/other markets (which had the Austrian proof marks stamped on the frame/slide). I believe that the US serial numbers ended after the sunset of the AWB in 2004, but I might be mistaken.
    An LGS here just got a USA-made G22 with a four letter, three number (ABCD123-format) serial number... with a US suffix, but the suffix is only present on the frame, not on the slide or barrel.

So: SN on slide and barrel is (example): ABCD123, SN on the frame is ABCD123US.

All their other USA-made Glocks (and all the other USA-made Glocks I've seen) have the ABCD123 serial number, but no -US suffix. Similarly, while the Austrian-made Glocks are also now an ABCD123 (versus the older ABC123) format serial, I've not seen any with any form of suffix (although I know that they exist in the ABC123 serial format).
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 04-23-16 at 21:26.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post

The U.S. went off the Glock serial numbers as a suffix around 2006-2007ish. Don't know why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It looks like it was carried more than shot. Could be an LE trade in. Maybe carried by a lefty judging by the grip scratches....
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with the "lefty" hypothesis, but the internals are as worn-in as the exterior, though no damage. The springs throughout are all in excellent shape (haven't checked the magazines yet though), so this tells me it's been well-maintained.

Also filled out Glock's customer service form on their website asking about the serial number.

Just got back from the range, and WOW. It easily outshot the P220 with groups about half the size. Everything went smoothly, all magazines locked the slide back on empty every time, the trigger was fantastically smooth (for a Glock), and the lack of finger ridges actually puts this second in ergonomics to my VP9. It's actually put the P220 as my "least-liked that I currently own" pistol.

Regarding anything about upgrades in the original post, I'll still probably go with the Vickers magazine release, as its present one is actually gouged out to nearly flush with the frame on the back end, but the slide release is fine and'll stay as-is (Vickers isn't compatible with 2-pin frames anyway). I'll probably also get new sights at some point, and maybe an extended takedown lever, but honestly nothing needs to be done anytime soon. No fancy triggers or disconnectors, as it's already so smooth I don't want to risk losing it.

On the purely-academic topic of filling in the gouges and scoring on the grip, I looked into the DevCon Plastic Weld II that everyone has suggested using in all the stippling threads, but it's not made anymore. Are there any suitable alternatives out there, in case I want to take a crack at it?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love it. Maybe it's just me, but I can't stomach beating down a brand new gun, workhorse or not. Which is why I picked up a LE trade in myself. I won't feel bad for fumbling during drills and adding a scratch or few. As song as it performs, I'm g2g

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice score. I carry a Gen2 G19, and a Gen2 G17 is one of my favorite range guns.

But I bought mine new.

I also replace the springs on any used pistol, it's cheap insurance.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    If a Glock feels smooth, it needs a new recoil spring.

Definitely get a new slide lock and trigger spring, but I's replace all of 'em along with the pins. If the striker tip is in good shape, it's better than the new ones.

If the trigger bar is black, you need the upgrade parts available from glockparts.com

Congrats on the 17. It's my favorite Glock. My Gen2 17 was the first one that gave me BTF, and a different one I was shooting cracked the slide through the ejection port!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast