Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Gently" Used G17 Gen 2 Score (in more ways than one...)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    On the purely-academic topic of filling in the gouges and scoring on the grip, I looked into the DevCon Plastic Weld II that everyone has suggested using in all the stippling threads, but it's not made anymore. Are there any suitable alternatives out there, in case I want to take a crack at it?
    Not sure that I'd worry about a conventional understanding of cosmetics on a Glock. I'd stipple over it and keep on rocking.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    The answer to your upgrades/ replacement question should always be the same - shoot it -if it runs and puts bullets where you want replace nothing!
    Used to be said of 1911's and now glocks- people keep fixing them until they are broke !
    I would do my level best in this world to never have to depend on a single pistol , so I do not bother stocking spare parts. If a pistol were to break and have to sit on a new part replacement I have another ( or 3) pistols ( could say the same for rifles shotguns pocket knives coffee makers etc) that can get the job done.
    My current carry stash includes 3 pocket guns 3 primary semi auto belt guns and 4 more revolvers , all of which I have confidence in.
    I am one of those lucky people who can literally pick up a Glock , shoot it well , put it down switch to something else ( 1911 revolver or what ever) and shoot pretty much the same.

Feedback Score
    I have a 1992 made G17 that is a police trade. It was in much worse finish condition that yours and it shot 100%.

I replaced the recoil spring and the mag release spring and bough new mags and sights and called it good.

That was in 1998. The thing is still running great.

I also have a 1996 made G22 that is in worse condition than your G17. It too was a police trade that looked pristine on the inside. It too shoots great and I carry it in my truck every day.

Great find there! I love the 2nd gen Glocks and believe they and the early 3rd gen guns were the best things Glock made.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another partial detail strip revealed that all the "upgrades" Glock offered in the early 90s had indeed been done, and all springs have - at best estimate - under 1000 rounds on them (including the slide release and spring, which has zero wear).

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd stipple over it and keep on rocking.
    Maybe if it was a Gen 3, but the finger-groove-less front strap is a big part of the appeal, I admit. Besides, stippling's not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    The answer to your upgrades/replacement question should always be the same - shoot it - if it runs and puts bullets where you want, replace nothing! Used to be said of 1911s, and now Glocks - people keep fixing them until they are broke!
    Anything I do change would probably not be anything "under the hood," so to speak. No aftermarket firing pin safeties, .0003lb connectors, scandium firing pins, red flat-faced triggers, or anything like that. The magazine release really does need replacing, though, as do the dead night sights (which I'd just noticed are a bit patina'd/corroded). Maybe a grip plug. As for everything else, though, it's staying as-is. Comparing the two, it's actually about on par with my VP9's trigger, so even if/when something breaks, I'd want to go 100% OEM. Even the wear has grown on me to the point that I don't want it refinished at all... like a pair of 4-year-old boots that fit perfectly as opposed to a brand new pair you'd dread getting a scuff on.

So, in short, more magazines and ammo, new mag release, and new sights. Although, the current sights are already set perfectly regarding POA:POI...
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Finally heard back from Glock - summarized, "LR03(X)" has a manufacture date of February 1990. I'd say that any scars a polymer-framed auto gained over 26 years (of what appears to be continuous use), it's earned.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the Gen2 17! I really do like my Gen2s, they all have so many rounds through them they are just slick.
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12