Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giraud case trimmer

Feedback Score
    If you only load .223 and no other rifle calibers, the tri-way trimmer that you chuck in a drill is a more affordable option that works great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Here's a tip... (I wish I'd have taken this advice earlier) Set up your .223 trimmer to cut .003-.005" longer than spec. My riflesmith recommended this, and it's not been a problem at all for me. The upside is you cut less brass off XM193 brass. If you cut that stuff down to spec, you spend 3 times as much time cutting.

Also, the extra few thowie of neck surface on your bullet is a plus. More consistent neck tensions.
    Similarly, I trim to max length. I measured the chambers of all of my rifles with a sinclair chamber length gauge (a $5 tool) so I know it is safe with a generous margin for error.

The only disappointment I have with the Giraud trimmer is that the chamfer it cuts has a sharp edge that will peel off fragments of the bullet jacket when seating. You can feel it, see it and even hear it. Now I use a hand VLD tool after trimming and the bullets seat like butter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's a tip... (I wish I'd have taken this advice earlier) Set up your .223 trimmer to cut .003-.005" longer than spec. My riflesmith recommended this, and it's not been a problem at all for me. The upside is you cut less brass off XM193 brass. If you cut that stuff down to spec, you spend 3 times as much time cutting.

Also, the extra few thowie of neck surface on your bullet is a plus. More consistent neck tensions.
    I trim halfway between max and trim length. Like you pointed out, it gives you more bearing surface on the projectile and more consistent neck tension.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score

Appreciate the heads up. I'll measure the case he sent with the trimmer and adjust accordingly. Of course I'll have to confirm that it will cycle in all of the weapons. Thanks to the rest of you that also provided feedback or guidance as well.

Feedback Score
    Quick question: since the 300WSM is my bolt gun and I'm fire forming the brass is it alright if I adjust the trimmer to my once fired brass length or should I trim that a few thousandth shorter?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Similarly, I trim to max length. I measured the chambers of all of my rifles with a sinclair chamber length gauge (a $5 tool) so I know it is safe with a generous margin for error.

The only disappointment I have with the Giraud trimmer is that the chamfer it cuts has a sharp edge that will peel off fragments of the bullet jacket when seating. You can feel it, see it and even hear it. Now I use a hand VLD tool after trimming and the bullets seat like butter.
    This is unusual. I've never had a single jacket shaved when seating a bullet. My trimmer already puts a healthy VLDesque chamfer on the case mouth. Even with flat base bullets, I get zero shaving.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malig8r View Post
    Quick question: since the 300WSM is my bolt gun and I'm fire forming the brass is it alright if I adjust the trimmer to my once fired brass length or should I trim that a few thousandth shorter?
    If your once fired re-chambers well, set it to that. We shoot 300WM. And to be honest, I NEVER trim that brass EVER. I've got RWS with 8 plus firings, and I don't even measure or trim it. I got this epiphany from a guy at Accurateshooter's forum.

I'll occasionally trim .308... although my bolt gun's leade is so massive at this point, it's a futile exercise in futility.
    Last edited by markm; 04-26-16 at 17:21.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is unusual. I've never had a single jacket shaved when seating a bullet. My trimmer already puts a healthy VLDesque chamfer on the case mouth. Even with flat base bullets, I get zero shaving.
    I've not had that issue either. Oh it is pretty sharp, but has never shaved copper.

Feedback Score
    Call Doug and he'll walk ya through a setup that eliminates that. As long as its not camp perry time, he'll either take your call or call ya back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Call Doug and he'll walk ya through a setup that eliminates that. As long as its not camp perry time, he'll either take your call or call ya back.
    I'll give him a call sometime to figure it out. Its probably some small adjustment or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12