Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Used Colt 1991 for the $500-600 range is my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would think that the basic Colt M1991 pistols or the Series 70 re-makes would be a good bet for a bare minimum 1911.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    On your budget, I would consider a Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec pistol. https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...rized-package/

Springfield Armory has a great warranty should you have an issue with the pistol. If you can stretch a few more dollars, I would look at buying a Springfield with a dovetail front sight. It would make it easier to upgrade sights at a later date.

If you decide to buy a used 1911, I suggest having someone knowledgeable check the pistol over before committing to a purchase. There are a lot of Dremel gunsmiths in the world and you just don't know what you are getting into unless you know what problems to look for.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Wilson Combat Supergrade is the acceptable minimum for confidence and carry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Agree. Not necessarily with the brand mentioned above but I would spend whatever benjimins needed for a rock-solid reliable pistol.

Feedback Score
    you're nuts. I got almost all the bells and whistles on an alloy Commander length Filipino made 9mm, for $400 at Rural King. Even that is too much gun to bother with carrying. What I use for ccw is a pocket 9mm, but the 1911 variant is the practice gun. I"ll spend the $2000 difference on components and scrap lead. Tell Bill "hi" from the guy who rode with him to the first IPSC champs.
    Last edited by helluva; 05-12-16 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    For a nightstand 1911 you might want a 1911 with a rail to attach a light so I'm thinking one of the Springfield Operator Models.

Feedback Score
    The 1911 has been around for 115 years. Suffice to say it is probably the most modified, tweeked and tuned pistol model on the planet. Opinions are going to vary on what the standard of features is. The standard of performance is this: every mechanism of the pistol functions reliably. This means it goes bang when and only when it is supposed to, extracts and ejects every single time and feeds a new round into the chamber every single time until there is no ammo remaining. Slide locks back, mag drops free and is ready for a new one to be inserted. There are all manner of enhancements that can be added that make the aforementioned actions happen faster and/or smoother.

The TRP is a great pistol right out of the box because it has several of those enhancements installed and if you can find a used one that checks out at a grand or less it would not be a mistake or a waste of money to jump on it. The Springfield MilSpec doesn't have all those bells and whistles and also would not be a mistake and can be had at about what you are looking to spend. If you're near a range that has pistols to use for a fee, try a few different 1911s starting with a milspec, bare bones model and moving to a model with some enhancements and make a first hand comparison of what the differences are.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Good grief! Really? So we totally ignore the proven history of the design and go to the absolute highest cost virtually unobtanium example available?

A reliable, accurate 1911-pattern handgun is not that hard to find. Springfield, Kimber, Colt, SIG, and plenty more make reliable 1911-pattern handguns.

Definitely don't go cheap, but it doesn't take a $4000 handgun.

Any midrange (or better) piece from any manufacturer who has built a positive commercial reputation on producing 1911s on a commercial scale will generally be reliable.

Like every other semi-auto handgun, the reliability of a 1911 starts - and in many cases, ends - with the magazine. Then, 200-300 rounds of the ammunition that is intended to be used for defensive purposes run through the gun with the magazines intended to be used would be prudent...as with any other handgun intended for defensive purposes!

If...BIG if...there are any issues at that point, any semi-decent 'smith will have a relatively quick fix for it - e.g., a minor polish on the ramps, an extractor adjustment, etc.. - and it will be good to go...again, just like any other handgun intended for defensive purposes.

As a general rule of thumb for 1911s, the further an individual piece gets away from the reference example (the 1911 A1), the more the piece should be tested with the mags and ammo that it will be used with...just like every other handgun intended for defensive purposes. (Honestly, anyone who buys a Glock, then makes changes to it - e.g., the latest and greatest trigger swap, new sights, magazines, mag releases, etc., and doesn't test those changes with 200-300 rounds is being frivolous with their life and the life of their loved ones).

Why all the testing? Because EVERY manufacturer lays a turd every once in a while and lets it get out the door.

When a handgun passes the 200-300 round test of reliability, it won't be freaking-out and going all unreliable when it's needed for defensive purposes.

The ONLY caveat I have about 1911's used as a House Gun is the same as I have for EVERY end users. Don't use one design/pattern for every day carry and a different design/pattern for some other defensive purpose...especially for a "House Gun". When there is the quintessential "bump in the night", the last thing one needs to be thinking about is how to run their gun. That is when all that training, familiarity, and conditioning with one design/pattern of weapon comes into it's own and proves it's worth beyond any novelty of ownership.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Now that was funny. Thank you. If your looking at a gun that cost under $1,000 NEW, it's not good enough for HD. My first choice is the new MC Operator. Your waistline money on a $600 1911. Just buy a great plastic gun.

Best of luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast