Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

I know very little about 1911's and am looking to purchase in the next few weeks/months. Not looking into something overly pricey but I want to steer away from junk. Doesn't need a rail or FDE cerakote. Just feeling out the acceptable 1911 area.

Feedback Score
    The definition of acceptable varies quite a bit based on the intended use of the gun. What role is it going to serve?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Colt prices right now on 1911's are very reasonable. They have high resale value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rep0055 View Post
    The definition of acceptable varies quite a bit based on the intended use of the gun. What role is it going to serve?
    Night stand, occasional carry, owb woods carry, range. Probably spend most of its time in the night stand. Which is why I'd like to stay 5-600 if not better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    Night stand, occasional carry, owb woods carry, range. Probably spend most of its time in the night stand. Which is why I'd like to stay 5-600 if not better.
    Then I'd recommend buying a used 1911. I wouldn't personally bother with anything new in that price range as a night stand gun, which is a SD/HD pistol at that point.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Then I'd recommend buying a used 1911. I wouldn't personally bother with anything new in that price range as a night stand gun, which is a SD/HD pistol at that point.
    This.
    For something youre going to consider for defense, go with a used Colt or SA Loaded.

Feedback Score
    I've been more than happy with my Ruger SR1911. I got it for around $650.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    I have just north of 40 years of experience with the 1911, including several years of carrying one for 16 hours a day. As a result of that, I've learned a few things:
    • The 1911 is still a viable self-defense option IF you dedicate yourself to learning and mastering its peculiarities, especially the trigger system and ongoing maintenance.
    • A $600 1911 is like a $600 car--it may be OK for a while, but you WILL have problems as time goes on. I'd recommend that you raise your budget to at least $1,000 and invest that money in the kind of 1911 that folks on this thread have recommended. Use that pistol to learn what you want to know about the 1911, but don't use it for serious purposes until you have a couple of thousand rounds downrange in it, and until you've taken a solid tactics class with it. At that point, you'll either be a full-on 1911 convert or you will have moved on to something else.
    • Rotating between handgun types for serious use is a bad idea. It becomes a very bad idea when you include a 1911 in a mix of other non-1911 pistols. Stick to one action type for serious use. If you carry a striker-fired pistol concealed, then all of your serious handguns should be striker-fired. This is even more critical for the bedside pistol, since you'll probably go from a deep sleep to a massive adrenalin rush in a few seconds immediately before you have to use it to save your life. That's a bad time to realize that you have familiarity issues with your pistol.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have just north of 40 years of experience with the 1911, including several years of carrying one for 16 hours a day. As a result of that, I've learned a few things:
    • The 1911 is still a viable self-defense option IF you dedicate yourself to learning and mastering its peculiarities, especially the trigger system and ongoing maintenance.
    • A $600 1911 is like a $600 car--it may be OK for a while, but you WILL have problems as time goes on. I'd recommend that you raise your budget to at least $1,000 and invest that money in the kind of 1911 that folks on this thread have recommended. Use that pistol to learn what you want to know about the 1911, but don't use it for serious purposes until you have a couple of thousand rounds downrange in it, and until you've taken a solid tactics class with it. At that point, you'll either be a full-on 1911 convert or you will have moved on to something else.
    • Rotating between handgun types for serious use is a bad idea. It becomes a very bad idea when you include a 1911 in a mix of other non-1911 pistols. Stick to one action type for serious use. If you carry a striker-fired pistol concealed, then all of your serious handguns should be striker-fired. This is even more critical for the bedside pistol, since you'll probably go from a deep sleep to a massive adrenalin rush in a few seconds immediately before you have to use it to save your life. That's a bad time to realize that you have familiarity issues with your pistol.

Okie John
    This is great advise. I just picked up my 1st 1911, an all original 1944 RR in about 92% finish. I picked it up for my WW2 pistol collection but had to shoot it once. I loved it and plan to get a modern Colt for a shooter. That being said I plan to stick with my striker fired carry weapons that I have years of experience with. I hear so many people talk about rotating through 3-5 different operating systems for carry with minimum to no practice/range time. I always say practice makes permanent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    Totally agree. And as BBossman said, the 1911 is a "lifestyle".

A 1911 for personal defense is "lifestyle" , if you're not willing to spend the money, or put forth the effort in learning to lead that lifestyle, you're better served with a modern, quality semi-auto.
    I don't want to run down the 1911 in general because I personally love the pistol. But if you think you can just buy one, shoot it, abuse it, neglect it, and never have an issue I think you're being naive. I've seen trusted high-end 1911's at the range and IDPA matches suddenly have reliability problems--either due to being in need of cleaning/lubing, worn out components or magazines, unexpected issues from being run hard, poor ammo, etc.

To me the 1911 (blessings be upon it) is a gun for someone who lives, eats, and breathes pistol maintenance. It's like an old car or a high-maintenance girlfriend: If you don't constantly take care of it, then it may fail you.

It's not a Glock.

That's just my experience. I constantly fondle 1911's at gun shows, shops, and whatnot, but I haven't owned one in over 10 years.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast