Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Isn't the loaded more of a self defense gun and the range ofc a competition gun?
    This changed a bit when SA announced the RO Operator this year. Finally got rid of the ridiculous adjustable rear sight. Which means now the dovetail is cut for any number of aftermarket sight options.

The new models can be picked up for $800 and are an outstanding option for a entry level 1911.

Last edited by Nightstalker865; 05-18-16 at 05:47.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    This changed a bit when SA announced the RO Operator this year. Finally got rid of the ridiculous adjustable rear sight. Which means now the dovetail is cut for any number of aftermarket sight options.

The new models can be picked up for $800 and are an outstanding option for a entry level 1911.

Too bad they couldn't get rid of the fcs
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Too bad they couldn't get rid of the fcs
    Agreed. The fiber optic sight is nice, though.

Feedback Score
    Springfield is a great option and backed by fantastic customer support. Most any used Colt is also a great option and among the best platform to send to Springfield custom shop or any other custom shop down the road and if the need ever arrises your best bet for getting your money back. That said, most people experienced with the 1911 platform will tell you they would trust the gun with their lives after sending it in for some custom tuning. That is except for the Sig 1911 which purists cringe at but also has some features like external extractors and match grade components that make it extremely reliable out of the box. It's not the gun to customize later but has lots of features that any other gun would demand double the price, they eat everything and are more accurate than you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You guys are funny. The bare minimum acceptable 1911 is whichever one feels the best in your hand, that you can handle proficiently and that you can shoot accurately with consistency. If that one happens to be from the used rack at the range from some small no name company, who cares as long as it works for you.

Feedback Score
    Btw in response to your SR 1911 query, I own one and it is a helluva sweet shooter. Very well thought out from a solid company at a comfortable price point.

Feedback Score
    I currently own 3 1911's. Each from different price points

A Rock Island GI

A Ruger SR1911

And a Colt 1911A1

The Rock does everything the other 2 do, while being far less expensive, and it's been 100% reliable with both factory and handloaded ammo. So have the Ruger and Colt, but they cost more.

I was leary on it, but it's been great and I confidently recommend it to 1911 newcomers who don't want to jump in with a ton of $$$ up front.

Old USGI guns are also bulletproof...........but good luck finding one for a good price. I had an absolute beater Remington Rand that always ran, but had seen better days,that I recently sold for $1200 to fund other interests.........I kinda felt guilty asking that much for it, but the guy who bought it seemed to think it was a deal..........to each his own.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

Wilson Combat Supergrade is the acceptable minimum for confidence and carry.
    Good grief! Really? So we totally ignore the proven history of the design and go to the absolute highest cost virtually unobtanium example available?

A reliable, accurate 1911-pattern handgun is not that hard to find. Springfield, Kimber, Colt, SIG, and plenty more make reliable 1911-pattern handguns.

Definitely don't go cheap, but it doesn't take a $4000 handgun.

Any midrange (or better) piece from any manufacturer who has built a positive commercial reputation on producing 1911s on a commercial scale will generally be reliable.

Like every other semi-auto handgun, the reliability of a 1911 starts - and in many cases, ends - with the magazine. Then, 200-300 rounds of the ammunition that is intended to be used for defensive purposes run through the gun with the magazines intended to be used would be prudent...as with any other handgun intended for defensive purposes!

If...BIG if...there are any issues at that point, any semi-decent 'smith will have a relatively quick fix for it - e.g., a minor polish on the ramps, an extractor adjustment, etc.. - and it will be good to go...again, just like any other handgun intended for defensive purposes.

As a general rule of thumb for 1911s, the further an individual piece gets away from the reference example (the 1911 A1), the more the piece should be tested with the mags and ammo that it will be used with...just like every other handgun intended for defensive purposes. (Honestly, anyone who buys a Glock, then makes changes to it - e.g., the latest and greatest trigger swap, new sights, magazines, mag releases, etc., and doesn't test those changes with 200-300 rounds is being frivolous with their life and the life of their loved ones).

Why all the testing? Because EVERY manufacturer lays a turd every once in a while and lets it get out the door.

When a handgun passes the 200-300 round test of reliability, it won't be freaking-out and going all unreliable when it's needed for defensive purposes.

The ONLY caveat I have about 1911's used as a House Gun is the same as I have for EVERY end users. Don't use one design/pattern for every day carry and a different design/pattern for some other defensive purpose...especially for a "House Gun". When there is the quintessential "bump in the night", the last thing one needs to be thinking about is how to run their gun. That is when all that training, familiarity, and conditioning with one design/pattern of weapon comes into it's own and proves it's worth beyond any novelty of ownership.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Springfield TRP for me.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    MJN1957's points are spot on, and exactly what I was trying to say in the 9mm thread. There are a good number of companies making good 1911's. There is a thread right here in this forum from Ned Christiansen detailing a Springfield operator that has done very well through a lot of rounds.

ANY gun you depend on, for self defense, duty, competition, etc, should be shot with several hundred rounds first. Weather it is a Glock, S&W, Sig, any variety 1911, or any other gun. Shake out the variables. Use the mags and ammo you will be relying on. MOST guns made today have some MIM parts in them somewhere. Generally bad parts will fail fairly early in the life of the gun. Even seen significant problems out of the box on the semi customs such as Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer. So just buying one of them is no guarantee of a gun that runs perfectly out of the box.

If you have a problem with the gun, send it back. Most of the companies making 1911's take good care of their guns if there are problems. Springfield and Colt have good CS reputations. Not bad mouthing any of the semi customs, but I have seen CS issues with them in the past too. And if possible, always try to own at least 2 guns and support gear to go with them. Even if they are not the same gun. If one breaks, or God forbid you need one for self defense, you will have a second to fall back on if necessary.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast