Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What is the bare minimum acceptable 1911?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    The Filipino, ria, armscor etc guns are worthless. I saw an armscor in a class in June, it couldn't make it through afull mag without going down. If you want a 1911 as a hd/sd gun, you need to look at spending some money. SA loaded would be the cheapest I'd consider.

Then you need to get it out and run it hard to make sure it'll run and not jam. 1911s aren't something you can just set down and forget about, they're an enthusiasts gun.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Knowing “very little about”, wanting to go on the cheap, tells me the 1911 is not for thee OP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have just north of 40 years of experience with the 1911, including several years of carrying one for 16 hours a day. As a result of that, I've learned a few things:
    • The 1911 is still a viable self-defense option IF you dedicate yourself to learning and mastering its peculiarities, especially the trigger system and ongoing maintenance.
    • A $600 1911 is like a $600 car--it may be OK for a while, but you WILL have problems as time goes on. I'd recommend that you raise your budget to at least $1,000 and invest that money in the kind of 1911 that folks on this thread have recommended. Use that pistol to learn what you want to know about the 1911, but don't use it for serious purposes until you have a couple of thousand rounds downrange in it, and until you've taken a solid tactics class with it. At that point, you'll either be a full-on 1911 convert or you will have moved on to something else.
    • Rotating between handgun types for serious use is a bad idea. It becomes a very bad idea when you include a 1911 in a mix of other non-1911 pistols. Stick to one action type for serious use. If you carry a striker-fired pistol concealed, then all of your serious handguns should be striker-fired. This is even more critical for the bedside pistol, since you'll probably go from a deep sleep to a massive adrenalin rush in a few seconds immediately before you have to use it to save your life. That's a bad time to realize that you have familiarity issues with your pistol.

Okie John
    Totally agree. And as BBossman said, the 1911 is a "lifestyle".

A 1911 for personal defense is "lifestyle" , if you're not willing to spend the money, or put forth the effort in learning to lead that lifestyle, you're better served with a modern, quality semi-auto.
    I don't want to run down the 1911 in general because I personally love the pistol. But if you think you can just buy one, shoot it, abuse it, neglect it, and never have an issue I think you're being naive. I've seen trusted high-end 1911's at the range and IDPA matches suddenly have reliability problems--either due to being in need of cleaning/lubing, worn out components or magazines, unexpected issues from being run hard, poor ammo, etc.

To me the 1911 (blessings be upon it) is a gun for someone who lives, eats, and breathes pistol maintenance. It's like an old car or a high-maintenance girlfriend: If you don't constantly take care of it, then it may fail you.

It's not a Glock.

That's just my experience. I constantly fondle 1911's at gun shows, shops, and whatnot, but I haven't owned one in over 10 years.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Totally agree. And as BBossman said, the 1911 is a "lifestyle".

I don't want to run down the 1911 in general because I personally love the pistol. But if you think you can just buy one, shoot it, abuse it, neglect it, and never have an issue I think you're being naive. I've seen trusted high-end 1911's at the range and IDPA matches suddenly have reliability problems--either due to being in need of cleaning/lubing, worn out components or magazines, unexpected issues from being run hard, poor ammo, etc.

To me the 1911 (blessings be upon it) is a gun for someone who lives, eats, and breathes pistol maintenance. It's like an old car or a high-maintenance girlfriend: If you don't constantly take care of it, then it may fail you.

It's not a Glock.

That's just my experience. I constantly fondle 1911's at gun shows, shops, and whatnot, but I haven't owned one in over 10 years.
    Sums it up for me. I CCWd a full government or officer 1911 daily for over a decade, took courses with them, competed in IDPA with them, etc. But it became clear that the polymer wonder pistols had gotten good enough (via the M&P with Apex kit) that most of the benefits of the 1911 could be had, minus the major drawbacks of the platform, and i was done with my beloved 1911s. Some of it also related to the major improvements in terminal ballistics improvements in 9mm, cost of ammo, and declining interest in cleaning and general upkeep compared to a quality polymer wonder pistol. The ergos, trigger, etc of a Glock was never going to get me to leave the 1911, but pistols like the M&P, VP9, and Walther, were game changers for me and many others: 1911 like ergo, good triggers, double stack capacity, low maintenance, etc, meant 1911 was no longer practical choice if being honest with yourself.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I have Glock's, SIG's, Hi Powers but the only pistols I really like are 1911's. They just fit the hand well, have a nice trigger reset, and trigger pull. In fact, if all I had were 1911's- I'd feel fine with that.

Feedback Score
    I pimped my GI 1911A1 Rock Island Armory as follows
    A. Wilson Combat ETM 8 round magazines
    B Hogue Finger Groove Grips.
    C. Front sight post painted. 'Apple Barrel Lime Tree."
    Totally reliable for 400 rounds.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan1957 View Post
    Totally reliable for 400 rounds.
    Wow, a whole 400 rounds!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Wow, a whole 400 rounds!
    Probably in 4 years. Troll

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Probably in 4 years. Troll
    Incorrect. I don't to shoot with my handicapped Dad very often. He drives, I shop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pretty sure I've mentioned this pistol prior to this thread but my example of one, Colt .38 Super Auto has been very reliable with nearly zero maintenance other than oil/grease. Two 2000 round tests with no lube/cleaning in the past few years. Currently it is running with lube only since it's last cleaning 12/17. It is quite dirty and a guess at it's round count is 2000+, no issues. I load my own .38 SA and I load for reliability. I don't use it every time I use a handgun and my current competitive/training emphasis is 2 gun competition. So my AR15 is getting all the attention right now. I did use it in a rain start to finish 2 gun match where both weapons performed flawlessly and required only drying out a little more lube.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast